Thread: Shroud questions!

Default Shroud questions!

So, I'm worried about how to attach a shroud. It's a long thing. It spans over multiple MHS pieces, so gluing it is not a great idea from what I've read. Is that right? Here's the rough design to give you an idea.

shrouded.jpgshroudless.jpgshroud.jpg

But, if I do screw it on, I have no idea how I'd measure for screw holes. Alignment of that big unwieldy thing would be trouble anyway, and ideally I'd want the holes as center to the spine as possible. Any tips there?

And if I find a way to measure it, then what size should I make the screw holes? Thanks!

there are a couple ways to use screws. One would be to use them externally and incorporate them into your design. Button head screws look nice and resemble rivets. You don't need that many to secure a shroud and you don't need to drill all the way through. Where you place them is your call although there are some things to avoid. For instance don't drill into the threading of any piece, you will make it much harder to dis/assemble the parts. Same goes for spots on the emitter where the LED and heat sink are.

Another trickier way is to use set screws from the inside to exert pressure on the shroud. In this case you will need to position the holes so that you can get to the screws after you have assembled the hilt. It will keep the shroud pristine looking. I haven't tried it. I have dreams of the screws working loose over time and then suddenly you swing and the only thing you are left holding is the shroud as your saber goes air born.

Before messing with your saber practice drilling and tapping your holes on some scrap aluminum.
    Go here: youtube.com -TheCustomSaberShop
    and watch this video: Drill and tapping a retention screw

Make sure your pieces are tight together when measuring and marking. be sure you can duplicate their positions. The shroud is the cheap piece so I would drill that first. Then sand the holes to remove burs so you don't scratch the MHS parts. Mark the MHS parts and double check again the placement of the holes.

Looking forward to seeing posts of your handy work
    Last edited by Sevinzol; 12-14-2016 at 03:28 AM.

Blog Entries

What electronics are you planning for this design?
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Blog Entries

One well placed screw may keep that shroud in place, assuming the usual snug fit with MHS parts.