Thread: Newbie with Staff Asperations. Need Advice before buying parts

Default Newbie with Staff Asperations. Need Advice before buying parts

Hi all

I am in the process of putting together a kit list to build a custom staff. I decided a set of twin sabres is not needed as it will not ever be split. I am looking at a VERY plain hilt as most will be covered in cloth/leather and the blade holders and any remaining bare metal covered in some other parts I am still looking in to.

So with this I have a few questions I still need to resolve.

First is what is the best soundcard to use to drive the whole unit. I want 1 momentary button, 1 battery for the whole hilt and ideally 1 driver for the RGB or RGBW led's Sound is a added luxury but preferable.

My thought for the build is:

• 7inch hilt
    • 2 x 3.5inch extensions
    • 2x4 inch blade holders
    • 2x 26inch Blades

this builds a 5ft8 staff. This is based on my Bo Staff size that's perfect for most of my work.

Questions I have are:

• Which sound board can handle dual tri or quad boards (RGB or RGBW)
    • the 3.5inch extensions should I choke them? should allow electronics to be mounted more robustly?
    • is there enough room to run wires past the speaker holders? I assume there is a small raised lip I can channel out?
    • Lens holders. I think I have this right but its not 100% clear. The MHS Heat sink has the lens and led holder? the actual diffuser lens on Tri boards does not clip in to a secondary holder like single diffuser?

as to the electrics I think that I'm still trying to get a full handle on the resistors needed but lets choose what I need first! Soldering and wiring is not an issue that I'm fine with done enough surface mount soldering and car wiring in my time.

Thanks for your time and help in advance.

Antony

Greetings & welcome!

At first glance, your build seems to be pretty straight forward...I'm still learning about electronics so my information there is limited, but from what I've learned, most of the sounds boards could handle double Tri LEDs (although personally I'd just make a pair of hilts so I could have a staff & duel weild as well), it's just a matter of wiring them properly & making sure you get the proper resistors wired in place (I would recommend a buckpuck for this). The other issue is the power source, maintaining 2 tri LEDs would draw quite a bit of power so you want to make sure you have a battery that can handle this & last a decent amount of time (again my experience in this is pretty limited so I'll defer to somone a bit more knowledgeable).

Where I can probably lend the most help is the actual construction of the hilt...

I would suggest using the MHS Builder on the main store page to play around with the parts there & get a general idea of what you want your staff to look like once you're done. The MHS Builder doesn't have all the parts available in the store, but it has most of them & you can at least get a basic idea of what you're looking for. Getting a concept down "on paper" (so to speak) so that you can see a physical representaion of your hilt will also help give you a better idea on how to lay out your electronics as well.

Hopefully this helps get you started until someone with a bit more electronics experience can give you some better direction on your internals.

Naasad Tal - A.K.A. Chris S.
    My Saber Build - http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...from-MHS-parts

Thanks

I certainly want the hilt as plain as possible. batteries is a good point. I will look at something with high Mahs.

I thought about dual sabres coupled but actually it becomes too long as a staff or to short for sabers. I will be building 2 sabres at some point that can be coupled of different designs with a common theme so they work together. but I would want to make a quick release on it. and the staff while combat capable will not be a primary use especially with the length.

I'm set on the single hilt design. I have some ideas to make what is essentially a long tube in to something cool. Hopefully! I need to decide if to use choked extensions as this adds strength, weight and if the electrics go loose can't wander. Not sure if there is a need for this.

Also if done right I can remove one half and turn it to a single sabre for now. But I'm sure things will change before I buy it all.

Quote Originally Posted by NaasadTal View Post
    Greetings & welcome!

At first glance, your build seems to be pretty straight forward...I'm still learning about electronics so my information there is limited, but from what I've learned, most of the sounds boards could handle double Tri LEDs (although personally I'd just make a pair of hilts so I could have a staff & duel weild as well), it's just a matter of wiring them properly & making sure you get the proper resistors wired in place (I would recommend a buckpuck for this). The other issue is the power source, maintaining 2 tri LEDs would draw quite a bit of power so you want to make sure you have a battery that can handle this & last a decent amount of time (again my experience in this is pretty limited so I'll defer to somone a bit more knowledgeable).

Where I can probably lend the most help is the actual construction of the hilt...

I would suggest using the MHS Builder on the main store page to play around with the parts there & get a general idea of what you want your staff to look like once you're done. The MHS Builder doesn't have all the parts available in the store, but it has most of them & you can at least get a basic idea of what you're looking for. Getting a concept down "on paper" (so to speak) so that you can see a physical representaion of your hilt will also help give you a better idea on how to lay out your electronics as well.

Hopefully this helps get you started until someone with a bit more electronics experience can give you some better direction on your internals.