Thread: MHS and Carbon Fiber Blades

Default MHS and Carbon Fiber Blades

Hey all!

First time poster here, and I'm coming with a boat load of questions I have either found unanswered on the forums or thought of after talking to CustomSaber customer support. So let's begin.

First question is how do the new 1" to 3/4" adapter that TCSS sell hold up in actually securing the carbon fiber blade to the hilt? I've looked around the net, forums, YouTube, and haven't found a review dedicated to show casing this adapter. I would like to know as the choreography and stunts I have in mind require this blade be secure as to not fly out and endanger the actors.

Second question regards the securing of the blade holder to the adapter, and the adapter to the blade. I understand that a screw hole 8-32" is drilled into the blade holder for making sure a polycarbonate blade is secured. But when you fit a carbon fiber adapter into the blade holder, how does his new setup get secured? Do you use a grub screw to latch the blade and adapter together and then a normal screw on the outside to connect the blade holder to the adapter?

Third question is about reliability. How many people here went with the carbon fiber route? How have your props held up? How often do you smash your blades against someone else's? How long has it lasted?

Fourth question is regarding the actual hilt, in your personal opinion is a simple hilt, pommel, and blade holder is all that ia needed to get one of these carbon fiber blade systems up and running? Or can I add doohickeys and thingamabobs to the hilt as well to improve the aesthetics with out affecting performance?

Final question, if I were to hand a fully functioning carbon fiber blade and hilt system (meaning it was built as TCSS intended) to my actors and told them to go at it, would they be in danger of the thing breaking? (outside the blade snapping)

Thank you in advance for reading this, my main goal is to procure a prop I can trust and keep buying, I'm hoping TCSS can provide that prop.

- Poi_Master
    Last edited by Poi_Master; 12-07-2016 at 07:01 PM.

First off, welcome to the party!

Second, it would help to know what exactly you're looking to do with your saber...Shelf Queen? Heavy Dueling? Light Dueling? At the end of your post you mention giving the hilts to actors, so I'm guessing at some point you'll be wanting to do some Fan Films.

Now, let's see if I can't help you find some answers...

Unfortunately I can't give much insight into the Carbon Fiber blades other than to tell you that the Carbon Fiber blades do not light up & because of that I'm not sure how many folks actually use them. I practice with my saber club a couple times a week & I clack blades ALOT & As far as durability goes, the polycarbonate blades are MORE than strong enough to hold up to heavy dueling. I personally use the TCSS heavy blade, but even their thin walled blades can take alot of abuse.

In regards to hilt durability, TCSS parts are VERY strong. The only piece I would warn you about is the gender changer, it's very thin & can be a weak point in any build. if you need a double male connector for your build, there is a 1/4" extention in the store that is strong enough to take the abuse of dueling. As far as hilt design is concerned, you can get as simple or as detailed as you can imagine...so get creative!

Hopefully I was able to give you some good intel until someone with experience with the carbon fiber blades chimes in.

if you have any other questions, feel free to ask, there are A LOT of talented people here & they will be able to give you everything you need to build yourself a great hilt.

Naasad Tal - A.K.A. Chris S.
    My Saber Build - http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...from-MHS-parts

Welcome. I use 7/8" polyc blades with an adapter, it has a hole in it to allow the retention screw to pass through so it tightens on the blade. It's very secure.

If your plan is to use these on film then I think they should have a reasonable amount of detail to add to the production value rather than look like just a piece of tube.

Welcome to the forums.

A while back, I made two sabers with the carbon fiber blades for the explicit purpose of heavy dueling, which it sounds like you intend to do as well. The blade adapters come with a hole pre-drilled and pre-tapped with 8-32 threads for a retention screw. To secure the blade in the adapter, I used a small set screw and made sure it was tight as could be. To secure the adapter (with blade already installed) in the blade holder, or emitter, I drilled a hole through the BH straight into the adapter for a set screw. I used the 8-32 x 3/8" Stainless Steel thumb screw to hold the adapter in the BH because I like the aesthetic of that screw, but also to make removal of the of the adapter for shots of the hilts with and without the blades easier. However, after extensive dueling, it became difficult to remove those screws, so I just leave the blades in.

As for hilt design, you can go any route you want, whether simple or intricate. I went simple with mine to keep the cost down, but added a bit of powdercoating, weathering, and some shroud work to spruce them up. The one thing I would keep in mind when designing the hilts is to have a choke section, as the choke section really makes spins and overall dueling easier. I didn't use any MHS choke sections, but rather used BH6 and BH2, both of which have built in choke sections, or aspects that lend themselves to spins and whatnot.

Speaking on durability, my hilts have held up beautifully under some intensely savage dueling. Carbon fiber is incredibly strong, and unless the dueler is a neanderthal with it, the hilt should be fine. Neither of my blades have needed to be replaced. I did cover my blades in heatshrink to A. make them show up on film better, and B. to protect them. While the heatshrink has been seriously beat up, the blades themselves are fine. I also went further in my design by adding shock-absorbing rubber o-rings to the adapters. This I did by machining grooves for the o-rings into the adapters on my lathe. This helped reduce the shock and stress on the blades as well as the duelers, as intense dueling can send some rather uncomfortable vibrations through one's hands.

I hope this helps. If you need clarification on anything I've said, let me know, or look at the photos I uploaded to the gallery of these hilts. Happy saber building and dueling!
    Last edited by Renaissance Jedi; 12-08-2016 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NaasadTal
    Second, it would help to know what exactly you're looking to do with your saber...Shelf Queen? Heavy Dueling? Light Dueling? At the end of your post you mention giving the hilts to actors, so I'm guessing at some point you'll be wanting to do some Fan Films.
    So sorry for not clarifying. So the point of this saber I'm assembling is for fan films. I'm planning choreography that requires extremely rapid movements, and as such will need very light yet durable blades, hence why I've elected to go with the carbon fiber. It's not that I'm against polycarbonate blades, it's just I personally want to get it as close to the movies as possible, Episode III went the carbon fiber route, so I shall do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie
    If your plan is to use these on film then I think they should have a reasonable amount of detail to add to the production value rather than look like just a piece of tube.
    I agree! Detail would definitely make it appear more than "just a tube with a insert", in your humble opinion, what are some of the details you find that belong on a lightsaber? What about details that you think should be avoided? Any recommendations one stuff to add after the normal pommel/hilt/blade holder/carbon fiber tube?

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance Jedi
    A while back, I made two sabers with the carbon fiber blades for the explicit purpose of heavy dueling, which it sounds like you intend to do as well. The blade adapters come with a hole pre-drilled and pre-tapped with 8-32 threads for a retention screw. To secure the blade in the adapter, I used a small set screw and made sure it was tight as could be. To secure the adapter (with blade already installed) in the blade holder, or emitter, I drilled a hole through the BH straight into the adapter for a set screw. I used the 8-32 x 3/8" Stainless Steel thumb screw to hold the adapter in the BH because I like the aesthetic of that screw, but also to make removal of the of the adapter for shots of the hilts with and without the blades easier. However, after extensive dueling, it became difficult to remove those screws, so I just leave the blades in.
    Perfect! So what I'm hearing I'm gonna need one of these set screws as well as one of these thumb screws in order to get the tightness or solidity for fast paced duels. As far as drilling and tapping the hold for the thumb screw, would it be possible to get TCSS to do it for me? I don't have many tools at my disposal at the moment, and would like to get the blade holder/emitter with a hole already there so I can secure the adapter.

Thank you all very much for the replies, I'm getting a better idea of what I'm getting myself into, and for the most part I'm really excited, I'm sure I can create some really cool shots and sequences with these props once they are finished.

Again, thank you,

- Poi_Master

Here is a picture of my hilt I'm thinking about ordering.

Hilt looks nice, albeit a little long. The set screw is too long for the adapters and will stick out too far. I'd go with a shorter version of that, which I'm sure can be found on TCSS, but if not can be found at your local hardware store. As for getting Tim to drill and tap the holes, I'm sure that would be possible, you'd just need to specify what you want in the services option for drilling and tapping blade retention screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance Jedi View Post
    As for getting Tim to drill and tap the holes, I'm sure that would be possible, you'd just need to specify what you want in the services option for drilling and tapping blade retention screws.
    Where would you recommend getting the hole drilled in general on the blade holder? Where would you specifically recommend getting one drilled on blade holder 8?

Quote Originally Posted by Poi_Master View Post
    Where would you recommend getting the hole drilled in general on the blade holder? Where would you specifically recommend getting one drilled on blade holder 8?
    I'd put it right about there.
    GetImage.jpg

If you put it there, it won't get in the way of the choke section of that BH.
    Last edited by Renaissance Jedi; 12-09-2016 at 11:27 PM.

Dude, thank you so much for being so helpful. My first impression of these forums is now absolutely amazing thanks to you and everyone else being so kind and answering my questions. I'm probably gonna drop the long choke and just go with the BH8, a hilt, and a pommel, keep it simple for my first attempt at building one of these. I have all the parts in my cart, just need to wait for the blade holders to come back into stock.

I'll keep you all updated and post a new thread showcasing what I create once all is said and done. Again thank you for all the help.

- Poi_Master

happy to help. We have a great community hear. I look forward to seeing your build!