Thread: First saber on the cheap side

Default First saber on the cheap side

So I want to build a saber... but there's a problem. I'm a 13 year old with very little income. What's the absolute cheapest I could build a stunt saber with LED for. It needs to be strong enough for dueling. I live in the UK, so ordering from the custom saber shop means factoring in shipping cost. I'm willing to do that, but it means everything else being super inexpensive. All it needs is a pommel, hilt, emmiter and 36" long blue blade. I'd like to do a leather wrap for the handle, and it would be nice if it had a belt clip or something. I don't want it looking really cheap and tacky is all. Any tips at all would be greatly appreciated, seeing as I've only found out about saber building a few weeks ago.

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard!

PVC and sink tube builds tend be a cheaper solution than a full MHS saber. You should look in the build threads and do searches for those types of builds to get an idea of what needs to be done and what supplies/parts you need. Then you can start pricing things for yourself.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

This thread is 7 years old so some materials have changed. skip down to Jay-gonn Jinn's post (8th)
    Jay-gon-s-PVC-Hilts-Full-tutorial

For leather I would recommend upholstery leather (or vinyl). Look for thrown out furniture or check at a furniture repair place for scraps. For belt clip all you really need is a "D" ring and a cheap carabiner or snap (like for a dog leash).

None of this stuff needs to be fancy. Just keep in mind you can always upgrade it in the future or build another. You know you're going to build more than one

I bought a bag of scrap leather at Michael's craft store for under $10. Other craft stores likely have the same. You might also look at a bicycle shop if you are interested in something more like leather grip tape.

Yeah, you should watch this video. You can do a lot with little material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aASCPiuXw_E

Depending on how you decide to go, you can also check with JQ Sabers for your parts. They are a UK based supplier of TCSS parts. http://www.jqsabers.com/parts/