Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gilded Avarice, A Clawed, Etched Sith Saber

Default Gilded Avarice, A Clawed, Etched Sith Saber

Heya guys! Just finishing up on a hilt I've been working on for a while now over the last few months.

My last two hilts were jedi, so of course it's about time to make a sith one! The idea behind this one was a "royal sith's" lightsaber- so I've spared no effort with the etching and powdercoating this time around. I hope you guys enjoy.

Specs:
    MHS Parts
    Acid Etched Emitter and Shrouds
    Custom cut claw
    Powdercoating

There's a few more things I need to accomplish:
    Drill for retention screw
    Drill for clip
    Wire all my CF8 electronics into Chassis (yes yes, despite the shown buttons/kill key, the hilt is unfortunately empty right now)

Pardon my dust, as there are a few things that need a bit of cleaning on this one.
    The pictures:

EDIT: added another/better view of the back's etching.

Cheers!

-Sawyer
    Last edited by Sawyer; 12-01-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Oh my! That is beautiful. First class work with the etching. Can't wait to see it lit.

Greenie

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Oh my! That is beautiful. First class work with the etching. Can't wait to see it lit.
    Thank you!

After your last saber (Still blows me away), I can't wait to see what you post next!

WTG!!! The etching work is amazing...well done. Like the design also.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    Thank you!

After your last saber (Still blows me away), I can't wait to see what you post next!
    Thanks. I've set myself up there. . So, any more pics of the shroud work? It looks real nice. What can you tell me about the etching and the resist. Acid or saltwater?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Thanks. I've set myself up there. . So, any more pics of the shroud work? It looks real nice. What can you tell me about the etching and the resist. Acid or saltwater?
    Think I've got one more I'll edit into the post.

So, I can't say much about the resist or my partner may get mad- but I can say that we use a lot of vinyl tape and nail polish. As it turns out, nail polish and some kinds of paint work really well against the acid I use. We do a lot of the resist work by hand.

I can, however, tell you all about our acid we use.
    We use a mixture of copper sulfate, salt, and water. What may be known to some as the "rootkill" meathod. (Copper sulphate is basically just the rootkill you can buy at home depot for your drain.) I largely followed in the footsteps of sks1138 etching method, which he talks about in his saber thread: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...irst-MHS-saber!!

Who in turn learned about the method from Rogue9607's Satele saber: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ight=root+kill

Also, if you do use this method, make sure you wear a mask around the acid! The stuff bubbles and boils hydrogen smoke like you wouldn't believe!

Blog Entries

Looking good
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Gorgeous etching!

Dang! Beautiful shroud and etching and I like how you incorporated the claw part.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

That etching is amazing.