Thread: Black series vader conversion

Default Black series vader conversion

Ok guys, complete noob, first conversion just replacing to one led and removable blade. There's no tutorial that I can find for this exact saber, and I have a couple questions. How high of wattage can i use? I read a 3 watt one place and a 6 watt another. Do I need a resistor or not? Do i need to do the "mosfet trick"? Thanks in advance

Anyone? Need help.

Force Aware
    Force Aware
    Force Aware

There may not be conversion parts for the black series sabers yet. I did a Master Replicas Vader a few years ago and that was a challenge. I wouldn't be able to tell what all the differences between the MR and the black series sabers could be.
    Sean

SciFiHero.net Member; SG Operations Home of SG-Socom Member

Which exact model of the black series do you have? Is it the removable blade version, or the fixed blade model? What year was it made? This may help determine if there is a kit in the store that will fit the saber. Also, just an FYI, the wattage of the led isn't what you should be looking at....that's only a measurement of the power the led consumes, not a measurement of brightness. You'll need to look at the specs of the led, specifically the forward voltage and maximum current requirements. Then, measure the output of the board using a multi-meter. chances are, with a red cree or rebel led, you may need to figure a resistor into your conversion.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I didn't think the black series had removable blades at all. Mine is a 2015 version, fixed blade. The tcss site says the kit will fit, just gotta move down the board. In the kylo ten tutorial it doesn't show a resistor being used. And I've read that you can use a 6 watt led instead of a 3 watt. My first build so I don't wanna screw up my 150$ saber if ya know what I mean.

Again, you shouldn't go by the wattage...it's figured by volts multiplied by the amps you are giving the led. Look at the specifications of the led you want to use, and measure the what the board outputs, that will determine what led you can use. Typically, these boards only put out enough amps to run a single-die led. In most cases you may not need a reasistor, but in the case of a red that will have lower forward voltage requirements, you may need one.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.