Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slit neck (the not bad kind) PVC hilt

Default Slit neck (the not bad kind) PVC hilt

Here is a hilt I just finished for a lady who had seen one I did had done almost a year ago and wanted one like it. I really like the effect of using two different beaten metal colors does when applied light over dark before the dark dries. Oddly, the colder the paint, the better the detail.

slit neck.jpg

Lovely! I love the texture and layers on this.

I'm planning on doing slots like that on a build coming up. Mine will be on 45s and I've devised some ways of pulling it off, but I suppose I won't know if they are any good until I start experimenting. Do you mind sharing how you pulled it off?

I like it. Great job man.

@ Greenie
    Thankyou so much!

@jbkuma
    What?!? You want me to divulge my ancient art of making vents on the internet?!? Well if you really want me to
    It is actually really simple when you get good at it. I use a electric miter saw. It takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it and to learn how the blade cuts (it does not cut strait down like one might think so you have to learn to eyeball what angel you need to have your pipe at.... if that makes sense). Then you just cut a little of the way down so you don't cut he hilt in two. Cutting lines like those on the outer shroud that run the length of the hilt takes the most skill as you have to hold the pipe free hand and in such a way as to be safe. You can't do it on short pieces unless you can regrow fingers quickly and don't mind seeing ghastly amounts of blood all over your work.

Looks really nice. I wouldn't have known it was PVC if you didn't tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by ekalbtwin View Post
    @ Greenie
    Thankyou so much!

@jbkuma
    What?!? You want me to divulge my ancient art of making vents on the internet?!? Well if you really want me to
    It is actually really simple when you get good at it. I use a electric miter saw. It takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it and to learn how the blade cuts (it does not cut strait down like one might think so you have to learn to eyeball what angel you need to have your pipe at.... if that makes sense). Then you just cut a little of the way down so you don't cut he hilt in two. Cutting lines like those on the outer shroud that run the length of the hilt takes the most skill as you have to hold the pipe free hand and in such a way as to be safe. You can't do it on short pieces unless you can regrow fingers quickly and don't mind seeing ghastly amounts of blood all over your work.
    You're welcome.
    It's a good method but man! you can't hold a saber with no fingers. May be an overhand saw (bench saw) or even a inverted skill saw held in a vice might be a bit safer. You take care now

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    You're welcome.
    It's a good method but man! you can't hold a saber with no fingers. May be an overhand saw (bench saw) or even a inverted skill saw held in a vice might be a bit safer. You take care now
    Sorry I wasn't clear, it is an overhand Miter saw. When I cut the lines that run up the length of the hilt my hand is nowhere near the blade! Im not that crazy, about hilts anyway! I prefer to have at least a ten to twelve inch of pipe so I can hold it a long ways away from the cut itself. Each cut is usually one to two and a half inches. If I had the set up to also secure it with a vice or clamp I would do it in a heart beat. Safety first and all that

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    Looks really nice. I wouldn't have known it was PVC if you didn't tell us.
    Thank you very much for the complement!

Blog Entries

Those slots are very clean. Nice work!

Nice job on this one. My only complaint is that there aren't more pictures for me to oggle.