Thread: Single LED without Focusing Lens

Default Single LED without Focusing Lens

This may have been asked and answered before, please forgive me as I'm new to saber building.

I'm going to build a saber with quillons. For each of the two quillons I'm planning on using a single LED CopperNova. In order to conserve space and the blades will be short, no more than 6 inches each, is it okay to not use a focusing lens? The main blade will have a full LED module with lens, but the two quillons will not. Is this advisable? I'm planning on 1" thin blades with diffusing film and bullet points. Will the blades still light up okay? Or will there be a wonky look to them or somehow only partially lit up?

This saber won't be used for dueling. If that makes any difference at all.

The focusing lens narrows the beam so it will be brighter further up(I think)but due to the short length of the quillons you should be okay.But I have never made a cross guard saber and I may be wrong.It would be wise to have someone more experienced to give you a better answer

alcadude got it right. Being only 6 inches long the lens is not necessary. You might want to resistor the 2 quillons LED's a bit because they might be to bright ....won't know till you light all 3 up in the saber.

Thank you! Great tips and advice!