Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: (New to building sabers) Need help with finding the right resistor!

Default (New to building sabers) Need help with finding the right resistor!

Hello, I am new to the saber scene. After testing my first PVC saber today, the resistor I was using had burnt out. I am running the saber off of two Xtar 14500 mAh 3.7v batteries, along with a Royal Blue Luxeon rebel led. The resistor that was in the saber was a 2ohm 1w resistor (Which was clearly the wrong resistor for this setup). So, I was wondering what would be the correct resistor for this setup?
    I'm a kid, I don't know any better.

Sorry, but all that did was confuse me.

It's the Watts I don't understand how to calculate.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I have, but the equation on that post was kind of confusing and I don't think I did right.

What's the battery configuration, 3.7v, or 7.4v? If you're using them in a standard 2-AA holder, then you probably gave your set up twice the voltage you figured it for.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Nevermind, I got a 5.6ohm 10w resistor. Works good now.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Using a 7.4 vs a 3.7 for a single LED is a big waste. There is no benefit at all for using more than the forward voltage of the LED and all you will do is create a bunch of heat from the large resistor needed. You would be better off getting a AA dummy cell and only using one battery.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Keep the resistor though?