Thread: "Renzokuken" by Yoshi-Taka

Default "Renzokuken" by Yoshi-Taka

This is a saber I've been planning for over three years now. It's based off my favorite fantasy weapon that exists - Squall Leonhart's Revolver gunblade from Final Fantasy 8. The name Renzokuken comes from Squall's Limit Break of the same name, in which he attacks several times in a row and unleashes an "ultimate" finishing move. No other name sounded right, tbh.

I did my best to make it a direct 1:1 translation from FF8 to lightsaber. This is as close as I can get, and that's after designing and redesigning for years. This is why I wanted to test the gungrip on the other saber. Because I wanted to put it on this one. And it works like a charm.

I kept the soundfonts generic and basic because Squall is a very quiet, stoic character. He's the kinda guy who wields a very strange weapon that have only been mastered by a few, himself included. So I wanted the fonts to feel big and heavy like his weapon. I chose blue for the blade because of his final weapon, the Lionheart, which has a gradiant cyan-to-blue blade. I obviously can't replicate that and didn't wanna take a chance on cyans that might look like green. So blue it is!

The trim ring behind the MHS gear is for comfort. Because that thing does NOT feel good against the hands. The trim ring eliminates this, making swinging it a lot better. Also makes the gun barrel section of the saber a bit more 1:1. This made applying the gun grip a bit harder but obviously it was worth it.

Alright, enough babbling. Here's the specs, pics, and video. Can't say when or what my next saber will be, but Renzokuken fills the void rather well.

SPECS:
    Nano Biscotte v3.0
    3.7v 18650 3400mAh
    2.1mm Recharge Port
    Cree XP-E2 Blue LED
    Super basic AV switch

And here's the gunblade in a screenshot from the game

And a 1:1 replica of it as well.

And of course, a video.

Thanks for looking! It ain't a complex Greenie saber, but it's definitely among my best (imo).

Another great job Yoshi. Like that grip, again. Complex? It's still only a basic NB build but thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Another great job Yoshi. Like that grip, again. Complex? It's still only a basic NB build but thanks.
    I was referring to the externals, actually. Internals, to me, are kinda irrelevant because it all comes down to the same basic features... unless it's stunts, that's a different thing entirely. idk, I'm kinda cynical about my own builds.

But thank you, all the same.

Very nice though. Reflects that way good I think
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

Thank you. I did enjoy doing all the extra grip work on this one. Glad it's finally done after 3 years or so.

Well done Yoshi-Taka!
    I particularly like the emitter end, how it steps down and down again from the gear. Also nice use of the trim rings. I tend to do that too, to kind of frame a certain area.
    Again I like the gun grip, and good choice of pommel.
    Fine job sir

-Darkmatter73

Looks as sleek as the gun-blade! I like how you used different MHS elements like the gear to capture the aesthetic of the gun-blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatter73 View Post
    Well done Yoshi-Taka!
    I particularly like the emitter end, how it steps down and down again from the gear. Also nice use of the trim rings. I tend to do that too, to kind of frame a certain area.
    Again I like the gun grip, and good choice of pommel.
    Fine job sir

-Darkmatter73
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreyhn View Post
    Looks as sleek as the gun-blade! I like how you used different MHS elements like the gear to capture the aesthetic of the gun-blade.
    Thanks, y'all. Like I said, I was trying to go for as close to a 1:1 as I could. It's definitely heavy like a gunblade (not good for one-handed use) but it's fun to use. I wanna get a thick wall blade to use with it, just to get some extra weight on it.