Thread: fixing threads?

Default fixing threads?

Ok- so.... somehow- something got jammed up in the saber i built (the first one) so i had to take it apart.... apparently something seized, and i messed up some of the threads in the base- the piece connected to the pommel- (the pommel got seized) i think it got jammed somehow with the speaker- .... anyhow- i had to drill a hole in the pommel to stick a screwdriver through it- so i could twist it, while holding the other piece in a vise...... regardless- i got them apart, but i think the threads in the main piece (ribbed ext) got jacked. Is there a way to fix this or......am i better off just buying a new one? on the carnage side- I destroyed 2 chassis disks- a premium speaker and speaker holder- and a pommel style 4, and mps insert. I am trying to salvage a ribbed extension (for reference).

Well, without an up-close examination of the threads themselves, it's hard to say. Sometimes they can be repaired with some light sanding, files, and TLC. Sometimes they're toast. Judging by the force you described in unscrewing them...it doesn't sound good.

In some cases where you *really* want to salvage the piece, you can strip the threads off one piece entirely, and then use a set screw to hold the parts together. It becomes a slip-fit part instead of a screw-together part. Not as secure, but it is an option if your finances don't allow you to rebuy a part straightaway.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Sanding and a screw it is! . I will most likely repurpose it into a future build- as I really need this one to be as "robust" as possible, but I was guessing this was what I would have to do. Luckily they are back in stock, so I'll grab a replacement now. Thanks!

It wouldn't hurt to shoot Tim an email to see if he would be able to do anything.

I screwed up the threads on two pieces one time. I coated the threads with toothpaste which is a mild abrasive and very carefully tightened and loosened them over and over and over. after a while I was able to screw the parts together fully. I then lubricated them with some synthetic silicone lube and never had the problem again with these parts. Be careful dont force the parts together too tightly or you may not be able to get them apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Avidgrant View Post
    Ok- so.... somehow- something got jammed up in the saber i built (the first one) so i had to take it apart.... apparently something seized, and i messed up some of the threads in the base- the piece connected to the pommel- (the pommel got seized) i think it got jammed somehow with the speaker- .... anyhow- i had to drill a hole in the pommel to stick a screwdriver through it- so i could twist it, while holding the other piece in a vise...... regardless- i got them apart, but i think the threads in the main piece (ribbed ext) got jacked. Is there a way to fix this or......am i better off just buying a new one? on the carnage side- I destroyed 2 chassis disks- a premium speaker and speaker holder- and a pommel style 4, and mps insert. I am trying to salvage a ribbed extension (for reference).

huh..... i will indeed try that- thanks!