Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MR FX Sabers vs. LED Sabers from TCSS

Default MR FX Sabers vs. LED Sabers from TCSS

Sorry if there is already a thread about this. I searched, and also read the FAQ, but could not find an answer.

I have an Obi-Wan ep. III Master Replicas FX saber. I’ve had it for a few months.

I was just referred to this site by a friend. Before today I had no clue that there were LED sabers like these on the market. I understand that this is a lot different from the MR sabers, since light is shone from the blade through the hilt, instead of the light being in the blade itself. But I was wondering what exactly the difference in performance is with a custom LED saber from here as opposed to my MR FX saber. Is it worth buying another one?

Will an LED blade be brighter than my FX blade? Will the saber be lighter, stronger, more to scale, etc? I’ve seen comparisons of LED vs. EL blades but not LED vs. MR-type blades.

Thanks,
    May the Force be with You,
    Slent Thndr

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

Default Re: MR FX Sabers vs. LED Sabers from TCSS

Quote Originally Posted by Slent Thndr
    Sorry if there is already a thread about this. I searched, and also read the FAQ, but could not find an answer.

I have an Obi-Wan ep. III Master Replicas FX saber. I’ve had it for a few months.

I was just referred to this site by a friend. Before today I had no clue that there were LED sabers like these on the market. I understand that this is a lot different from the MR sabers, since light is shone from the blade through the hilt, instead of the light being in the blade itself. But I was wondering what exactly the difference in performance is with a custom LED saber from here as opposed to my MR FX saber. Is it worth buying another one?

Will an LED blade be brighter than my FX blade? Will the saber be lighter, stronger, more to scale, etc? I’ve seen comparisons of LED vs. EL blades but not LED vs. MR-type blades.

Thanks,
    um well I will give this a shot. For one you don't have the power up, power down effect like the MR.
    On my red led a 1 watt red is as bright as an mr maul blade. with the led you don't have to worry about it goin out when dueling like an MR. The blades are much stronger than an mr. Your converted led saber will be a little heavier but not much. I have an converted Vader, Mace and Anakin. All feel great. I also have an custom MHS led saber. all are awsome. hope this helps. if not ask away.

BLUE 3- Ready

much brighter, much stronger
    "vibrations within vibrations, traveling at the speed of color"

"I've got a bad feeling about this..."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

There are some comparisons around if you lookat picture threads.

Depends on the color whether it's the same or brighter. Green is on par with the MR, but Red will whoop the MR like nothing.

It will be stronger since we normally use 1/8" blades. No LEDs inside to break. You lose the up/down. If it's a conversion that's about the sum of it.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

I mean, what if I was to buy a brand new saber from TCSS using the MHS Builder tutorial thing? Would it be a lot better than my MR?

Would I be better off building my own with the parts, separate from the MHR builder? With that builder, are there things I need to do to make sure it will have the right parts in it? (e.g. make sure it has enough segments?)
    Slent Thndr

with the builder it tells you how much it's gonna be and the length. It also gives you an idea of what it will look like. I know when I was building one i though "those would look cool together" and when I did it on the builder it didn't. It depends on what you want as far as a saber, do you want sound? I like both MR and MHS stuff. It depends on what you want.

BLUE 3- Ready

I do want sound... do the sabers from the builder usualy not have that?
    Slent Thndr

no they don't. when I made my mhs I had a busted Maul MR and I used the sound out of that.

BLUE 3- Ready

Default mhs saber

you can also buy mr luke soundboards from the store if you want your saber to have sound. depending on how you design the hilt and the placement of the speaker these hilts many times are much louder than your stock mr. tim is working on a conversion kit for the saber you have which should be available sometime in late march/early april.

welcome to the forums and good luck on your custom saber projects!

Im not all that worried about the sound.

But is a blade from the MHS builder lacking other things? Such as... does it come with the battery that it would need?
    Slent Thndr