Thread: Soundboard issue

Default Soundboard issue

Hi all. New to the saber community here so forgive me if this is in the wrong place. I made my first saber purchase and am currently waiting on delivery, but this isn't the reason for posting.
    A couple weeks ago, after ordering my saber I found myself watching EVERY YouTube video on custom sabers. Coming from an electrical background I knew doing an install wouldn't be an issue for me. So I placed an order for a PrizmV4 soundboard for an install I was slowly piecing together.
    Well, the other day I opened the package I was sent and immediately noticed a problem with the board. On the L1 pad there is, what I believe to be a footprint resistor, only connected on one side and sticking straight up. Pic to follow if I did it right.

I sent a message through the "contact us" link on the main site over a week ago and am yet to receive a reply.
    I guess my question is, am I supposed to solder that down myself or is it something TCSS should be replacing?
    Thanks in advance for any replies and/or help!

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

If you do not get a reply from us for over a week then resend the E-mail as we never got it. We had a issue with the contact us form for customers using yahoo and some others which should be fixed now. You can always E-mail us direct at sales@thecustomsabershop.com

Looking at the pictures on our site it is definitely supposed to be laying down. You can either attempt to fix it which should be pretty easy or you can send it back and we would be happy to do it for you. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Blog Entries

I think I see what you are talking about. In the upper right hand corner of the photo, right? I'm sorry your board has a problem. I can see how it is frustrating to you. I think the easiest thing for you would be to use a soldering iron to remove the resistor and then solder it back on. The L2 and L3 pads look OK, and they give you an example of what it should look like. Of course, you know this since you have expertise in this stuff. You could also try sending it back, but that would be a hassle compared to the five minutes it would take to put that resistor back where it belongs. I've ordered lots of these things and have never had a problem. I would say that it was either damaged post production or is a very rare anomaly in production.

Thank you for the quick response. I didn't resend the email because I didn't know if you got to me yet or not, didn't want to be a pest.
    The next person that responded gave advice to solder it down myself. While I do believe I could do so, I have never soldered a joint that small, and with the price of this board I don't want to risk damaging it. My new question is, can I attempt this and if fail send it in for repairs/replacement or should I send it in to you and have it repaired? Thanks

This happens from time to time.. possibly as a result from the Pick and Place machine?

I believe I had another (past) Plecter Board where this happened on mine too (maybe the TD boards?..anywho).

it should be an easy fix.. (good question to ask if you can still send in after attempted repair)...

Yes if you still have a issue after the repair attempt we will cover it. Just heat up the side that is connected enough to lay the resistor down and then it should only take a touch of solder on the other side to finish it off.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    Yes if you still have a issue after the repair attempt we will cover it. Just heat up the side that is connected enough to lay the resistor down and then it should only take a touch of solder on the other side to finish it off.
    Excellent! I will post an update after my fix attempt. Might take a few days as I need to get I finer tip for my iron for this lil resistor. Thanks all for the replies and Strydur for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    This is just fantastic customer service. Tim, thank you to you and your team for what you do for this hobby.

Hopefully this works. I'm thinking it will! Will still be a bit before I get the rest of the build together so won't know for sure but looks good to me! Thanks all for the advise

Looks good to me.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop