Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just wanted to share

Default Just wanted to share

I'm hoping to build my own simplified version of the Derelict in the near future. It's been one of my all time favorites for a while now. Decided to see if I could come up with a decent and affordable chassis design and this is what I got. Just gonna go with the 3D printed route.
    Hope you guys like it. (apologies if the pictures come up too small or of low quality)
    derelictchassis.jpg
    derelictchassis2.jpg
    derelictexploded.jpg
    derelictexploded2.jpg
    derelictinternal.jpg

Looks like a solid design. Personally I recommend against 3D printed chassis. In the long term they don't hold up and end up breaking apart like dried spaghetti.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CET View Post
    In the long term they don't hold up and end up breaking apart like dried spaghetti.
    Do you have a source for this? I'd love to read up on it and which materials and processes are more prone to this condition.
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Do you have a source for this? I'd love to read up on it and which materials and processes are more prone to this condition.
    Source? That's been my experience so far. My best results have been using TCSS chassis parts.

What's going to get 3D printed? The hilt OR the chassis??
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Blog Entries

FJK, Looks like the chassis.

CET, just curious. I'm on the flip side of that coin and have not experienced any issues with my SLS prints. In fact, I've drilled them, dremel'ed them, and dunked them in chemical solutions with no apparent degradation. The oldest pieces are over a year old now. Maybe more time will prove different.

The only piece I ever had an issue with was a switch ring a friend printed for me in ABS on a very cheap machine. That thing was crap. I have heard rumors of things "disintegrating," but have not researched the validity of those claims.

Just the chassis lol
    Now you guys have me second guessing with this back and forth...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daaguilar View Post
    Just the chassis lol
    Now you guys have me second guessing with this back and forth...
    I would say just do your research on materials and processes and pick what is best for your application. As I said, no issues on my end with SLS prints (all chassis/internal pieces). The "disintegration" stuff I've heard relates to UV sensitive materials. But I believe that can be negated with UV resistant finishes perhaps. Plus, chassis parts aren't usually exposed to extended periods of sunlight.

Any 3D printed parts I use I just get from shapeways. Anything on their materials?

If it's just the chassis, depending on the design (and more importantly who did the design) you will most likely be fine.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com