Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Just wanted to share

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daaguilar View Post
    Any 3D printed parts I use I just get from shapeways. Anything on their materials?
    See my comments above
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll most likely win up just taking the chance lol

Any 3D printed parts I use I just get from shapeways. Anything on their materials?
    I have also used Shapeways for my 3D printed chassis. It took about a year, but now they're becoming brittle and breaking apart.

Hm. Well hey, it only comes to thirty something. If I can get it to last a year, I can deal with the eventual break down. Appreciate the input, man.

I have also used Shapeways for my 3D printed chassis. It took about a year, but now they're becoming brittle and breaking apart.
    I did a bit of searching and found a forum discussion of some potential weaknesses of Shapeways parts: https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/ws...s-issue.26188/

The third post is particularly interesting because it describes some potential ways the process can go wrong. It could be simply a bad batch of printing, but it does concern me given the price of Shapeways printing service. Personally, I've only used one 3D printed chassis from Shapeways, it seemed sturdy enough, I guess time will tell.

Hm. Well hey, it only comes to thirty something. If I can get it to last a year, I can deal with the eventual break down. Appreciate the input, man.
    My TCSS chassis is well over a year old and solid as ever.

CET,
    Unfortunately that is the downfall of additive manufacturing. FDM using ultem or straight ABS would provide some additional longevity but then you'll have the "hot glue" build lines. Unless you use a rp house that also offers vapor polishing.