Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Greenie reveals all. SaberIII (pic heavy)

Board Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Thank you Raktus. It's all pretty much drilled holes, push fitted and 'forced' into place. It all stays where it should but on the smallest pieces of copper wire I had the idea of using drops of superglue for extra security then painted them silver to look like soldered joints. The tiny brass 'strap' over the parallel copper wire is also glued.

Attachment 16073

Greenie

Haha. Good to know you use the force to build it! Did you do any sort of chassis inside the core to support the board and wiring in an isolated way from the metal core? Is it fair to assume you had some sort of track or something on the inside of the shroud to make sure that the core aligned correctly when inserted?

That thing was a challenge to my cram-fu skills. The soundboard is fixed with high hopes and thin air . Insulated with heat shrink (not heated), it hides under the crystal chamber.

image.jpg

To keep the chassis aligned, I used a dremmel to make a notch on the inside of the hilt and a raised screw on the chassis.

image.jpg image.jpg

It will slide in any way round then I just turn till it falls into place. I think the linked YT vid on page one demonstrates.

Greenie

Board Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    That thing was a challenge to my cram-fu skills. The soundboard is fixed with high hopes and thin air . Insulated with heat shrink (not heated), it hides under the crystal chamber.

image.jpg

To keep the chassis aligned, I used a dremmel to make a notch on the inside of the hilt and a raised screw on the chassis.

image.jpg image.jpg

It will slide in any way round then I just turn till it falls into place. I think the linked YT vid on page one demonstrates.

Greenie
    Genius! I thought I saw a bit of a “click” when you put the core back in the video.

I love that this masterpiece keeps popping back up in the Gallery

Board Lurker

What did you use for the aluminum core? I can only find 1”, and 7/8” tubing at stores. How do you get a good fit?

I used 1 1/4" solid aluminium stock and tube but had to remove a thousandth of an inch or so on the lathe. They were sourced from a UK supplier but I had a little Google and this may be what you need https://www.metalsdepot.com/

Edit: if the link is a breech of rules, my apologies FJK
    Last edited by Greenie; 12-30-2017 at 09:54 AM.

I just checked out your saber and DAMN. Thats insanely awesome. Great job man.