Thread: How Vulnerable Are Hilt Electronics to Magnets?

Default How Vulnerable Are Hilt Electronics to Magnets?

I'm thinking about an idea for a future saber where a crystal chamber is covered by an overlay piece that is held on using small rare earth magnets. That way there'd be no need for a complicated mechanism or door to reveal the chamber, you'd just pop the panel off with a coin or a flat custom kill key or something.

For obvious reasons, the idea of magnets near my electronics makes me a bit nervous. Do you guys think 4 or so tiny magnets would cause damage to saber electronics?

Blog Entries

Speakers are magnets and we use those all the time. How far away from the board will they be?
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

I have magnets less than an inch away from the soundboard with no issues at all

Modern electronics are pretty resilient to magnetic forces these days.

"There's nothing magnetic in flash memory, so [a magnet] won't do anything," says Bill Frank, executive director of the CompactFlash Association. "A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells," says Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Speakers are magnets and we use those all the time. How far away from the board will they be?
    I haven't decided. I don't have a concrete design in mind. I'm just in the imagining possibilities stage.

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    "There's nothing magnetic in flash memory, so [a magnet] won't do anything," says Bill Frank, executive director of the CompactFlash Association. "A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells," says Frank.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
    I did that here:
    https://youtu.be/H9moBORo47A

Works great.
    That's pretty amazing, right there...

Well he is the saber master after all....he's been doing this for a long time.