Thread: Fitting batteries into a 1" ID build

Default Fitting batteries into a 1" ID build

I'm currently working on a pvc saber with an interior diameter of only 1" (a 1" blade fits perfectly into it, so I imaging it's the ID of the typical MHS blade holder).
    What battery packs would fit? Aren't most designed to work with a 1.5" ID? I'm thinking the 2 AA holder might fit, but is that enough juice to run a blue Luxeon Rebel Star?
    I'm not doing sound, as a speaker doesn't fit either.

Use an 18650 with JSTs. It'll have some room, but it will be the best fit and it'll give you the best bang for the buck. You can use a bit of packing foam to sure it up. A 3AAA holder should fit, but that is not a good solution.

I don't think you'll be able to get a 2 AA side by side holder in 1". A AA battery is about 14mm, so two of them will be more than 26mm.

I would also recommend an 18650. MHSv2 is 1" ID, so you can use the chassis parts in the store.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize there were chassis parts for a 1" ID, so that's definitely nice to know. I am a little confused, however. Why the 18650 and not the 18500? I understand the Luxeons should be run at 1000mAh, (whatever that means, I'm still learning the electrical stuff), but the 18650 is 2600mAh and the 18500 is 1400mAh. It wouldn't be too powerful for the LED?
    And now that I look, I realize there is in fact a speaker small enough to fit into 1" ID. Either that or the 20mm speaker is a new one they didn't have before. Not sure I want to get that complicated with the build though.

The mah rating is how long the batter will last under an ampload (milli amp hours) The 18650 is larger and therefore has a larger capacity and will last longer, in this case about twice as long.

The speaker has been in the store, it's easy to miss these things when there's so much to absorb!

Quote Originally Posted by Aziara View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize there were chassis parts for a 1" ID, so that's definitely nice to know. I am a little confused, however. Why the 18650 and not the 18500? I understand the Luxeons should be run at 1000mAh, (whatever that means, I'm still learning the electrical stuff), but the 18650 is 2600mAh and the 18500 is 1400mAh. It wouldn't be too powerful for the LED?
    And now that I look, I realize there is in fact a speaker small enough to fit into 1" ID. Either that or the 20mm speaker is a new one they didn't have before. Not sure I want to get that complicated with the build though.

You have missed one small detail. The Luxeons are 1000ma (mili-Amp) which is a rating of current. Batteries are rated at mAh which is mili-Amp hours. So a 2600 mAh should theorectically last 2.6 hours (2600 mah/1000ma) and a 1400mah should last 1.4 hours (1400 mah/1000 ma). That being said, typically you don't end up pulling the full 1000 ma.

If you happen to have thick-walled 1" bladestock, a wired 18650 from the shop should fit very snugly inside of the tubing! You may have to put some tape or something along it to keep it really in there, but it's a great use for some leftover or poorly cut bladestock!