Thread: Proteus

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Proteus

Introducing Proteus.

This is my first commissioned saber. Since this was only the second time I built a saber, and largely before I did any research here at TCSS. Making this hilt ended up being a losing proposition for me, but it was more about experimenting than it was about making money, and the owner's contribution was really research funding more than anything.

The request was to base the design on a few ancient African swords, and include the colors and theme of Barbados. Since this was made on a tight budget, there was a challenge in materials and technique.

It was important to it's owner that the grip be braided blue, gold, and black. He originally wanted it to be leather, but we quickly realized that was out of his budget. We settled on using cotton tapes which I braided over a cardboard tube, then coated in several layers of polyurethane. The pommel is a brass bell epoxied to a brass compression ring. Since I had access to a bucket brass compression rings this was a nice source for design elements that would keep the budget down.

The etched portion was inspired by the trident motif of the Barbados flag with the pelican and fish motifs from the coat of arms. The design was kept simple as this was meant to be on a budget, and because I would cut the stencil out by hand. Some of the imperfections and residue were left behind to give it an older, more used feel as part of the owners parameters. The brass button housing is a machined bit of brass bar stock made chiefly using a grinder and a sanding drum.

To keep as close to budget as possible this was planned to be a "dumb" hilt, but I crammed in a battery pack to light up the button and activate a basic sound card for ignition/hum and extinguishing. That put the hilt a bit over budget, but I had the parts on hand from other experimentation and decided to just toss it in.

I learned a lot in this build from both the experimentation and the cost constraints. It has given me a lot of ideas about future projects I've had in mind and will no doubt be invaluable to those projects. I have at 3 more projects in the design stage, and there are aspects of this build that will contribute to each of those in a big way.

Last edited by jbkuma; 03-20-2018 at 04:20 PM.