Thread: Deep Etching

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Deep Etching

What kind of etching solution would I use to make deep etching on aluminum and chrome sink tube?

I've only etched aluminium with saltwater, but I've found time is the main factor. The longer its 'submerged' the deeper the etching.

Blog Entries

ARKM has a good tutorial on saltwater etching, give it a look. My gut tells me you won't be able to etch chrome. You'll probably have to remove that and etch the metal under it which is most likely brass.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Thanks darth_chasm.

Saltwater with electricity will work. Like Greenie stated, you just have to leave the part being etched, in the saltwater (with electricity running through it) for a longer period of time. There are chemicals that etch without using electricity but I have no experience with them. Perhaps others will chime in on that.

If you're going for a deep etch, like over .014" then you might need a waterproof substance for your resist. Paint and toner are not the best resists for really deep etching/bas relief designs though that does depend on the metal being etched. For example, brass etches way better/cleaner than aluminum when using toner as resist. Instead you might consider clear packaging tape that is cut while on the part (this will create cut lines in the metal and of course, severely limits the design shapes being used) or much better yet, use vinyl stickers cut from a die cutting machine or made for you by a sign making shop.
    Last edited by ARKM; 10-04-2016 at 01:47 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Thanks for the help

My advice is: use ARKM's tutorial for saltwater. There are other ways to etch as stated,
    But these are some nasty and dangerous chemicals. Not for the faint hearted for sure.

The saltwater is easy, and cheap! A box is about $1.50.
    Also you could do what I did, buy yourself a vinyl cutter. I got a Silhouette Portrait from amazon for $160, which included the
    vinyl starter pack. Best $$$ I've spent in a long time.