Thread: couple of questions about wiring up a computer fan for a prop.

Default couple of questions about wiring up a computer fan for a prop.

I have two of these computer fans.

and these are its specs

These have to be mobile (being used as part of a Halloween costume)

I have two questions.

Can I just use an 8 AA battery holder for each fan to power these? Two can they be wired together to be turned on by one switch?

First ?: Yes
    Second ?: Using just one switch you will be putting 24 volts into the 2 fans. They would run ..but not for vary long.
    Try using just one 8 AA Battery Holder....and see how the two fans run...being the start voltage is 9 the two should work fine as a prop. If you want them to spin faster add a 4 AA AA Battery Holder to bump it up to 18 volts. .....course a pair of 9 Volt Batteries would take up less space.

If you had a "DPST" switch (Dual Pole, Single Throw - which is essentially two switches with one toggle arm) you could still keep your two circuits isolated.

As noted above.. using 1 - 8 x AA pack would be enough (since really current is your limiting factor here, and the AA pack should have enough to run both for a little while just fine)

If you wanted longer run times and keeping with your 2 - individual 8 x AA packs.. then use a DPST type switch as mentioned.

I'm not clear if adding more voltage (over the mentioned rated value will blow the fans or not?)

* I would stay away from using any 9v batteries.. they are notorious for being crap and have little current.

Yeah forgot about that xl97... 9V tend to juice out rather quickly....do to how they are made.

Thanks for the advice everybidy. I have almost everythibg i need
    The store i went to only had one 8 AA battery holder. So i grabbed that and 2 of these
    How do i wire them up to make 12 volts..

If i wanted them both to turn on using a momentary switch. Could I still use a spst