Thread: "Test Subject" First saberfont for my first lightsaber build

Default "Test Subject" First saberfont for my first lightsaber build

My background is audio/music production and sound engineering, so I've long had this idea for months now and I started on it a little bit, but now that my hilt is more or less finished I was finally able to test it out. Finally I can put some of my skills into action and contribute to the community. Any feedback is appreciated! This is my first saberfont. I apologize ahead of time for the excessive clashes and sparse swings, my hilt still doesn't have a proper chassis and so the sensitivity is all off as things are a little loose inside.

Last edited by MusicallyInspired; 09-17-2016 at 07:57 PM.

I quite like it! Particularly the extension and retraction noises. The font has a unique, bubbly feel to me almost like an underwater saber. My only suggestion would be to consider blaster block, blade lock up, spin, and stab sound effects if you want to release the soundfont to make it compatible with a larger range of boards. Of all the plecter boards the Nano Biscotte uses the least .wav files (sans Pico Crumble, but you can't change fonts on that as far as I'm aware).

Yes, that's my only downside. I don't have any other boards to test it with. Neither do I know how they are implemented, filenames, etc. Do the other boards also require the idle hum to be present in all sound files? Or are there any boards out there that have multichannel capabilities for simultaneous sounds (with the hum always playing behind everything else)?

Thanks for your feedback! The font is based on the Portal gun from the Portal games (hence the Test Subject name). All the sounds were created completely with sounds from both games.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicallyInspired View Post
    Yes, that's my only downside. I don't have any other boards to test it with. Neither do I know how they are implemented, filenames, etc. Do the other boards also require the idle hum to be present in all sound files? Or are there any boards out there that have multichannel capabilities for simultaneous sounds (with the hum always playing behind everything else)?

Thanks for your feedback! The font is based on the Portal gun from the Portal games (hence the Test Subject name). All the sounds were created completely with sounds from both games.

* All Plecter Labs boards require the 'background' hum be mixed in with every sound file.
    * All NEC boards 'layer' the hum in the background. (ie: so not needed to mix in with every file)

I would target the Crystal Focus board.. as I believe they have the most option for effects. Other (lesser) plecter boards may not have the feature and hence wont use it. (but at least it will be compatible with all PL boards)

If you need to see how many files are in each 'package' go to the plecter site and DL the default font package.

There is a tutorial on making your own sound font on the Plecter Labs site. http://www.plecterlabs.com/shop/arti...articles_id=39

Thank you both! I'm not really looking for a tutorial. I've been doing game sound and audio engineering for years now so editing is second nature to me. But the templates for other boards is definitely a must-have!

I'm liking it a lot, and since I also own only the NB v3, I wouldn't mind you not having the other sounds.
    I have made one myself also, but still has issues. Still enjoyed making them though

SHADOW'S BANE
    Still needs:
    -Powder coating/Enamel
    Would be nice:
    -Sleeve
    -Etching design
    -Case