Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: curved blade katana saber

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Look forward to seeing what you do, whether it works or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Cire Yeldarb View Post
    Look forward to seeing what you do, whether it works or not!
    Ditto.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

so i finished my first ever saber (yay) but with that came a light to test this curved blade WITHOUT a diffuser within the blade. from these tests it seems the blade's curve isnt too drastic to make the hot spot problem very noticeable. seeing how the blade without any kind of cellophane or anything inside of it already looks decent, getting the gel diffuser that i want to should make the hot spot problem negligible. i am making a blue saber next so once i get the light for that one all set up i will do more tests with that and hopefully by then i will have the special diuffuser that i want.

katana saber 1.jpgkatana saber 2.jpgkatana saber 3.jpgkatana saber 5.jpgkatana saber 2.jpg
    Im crazy enough to be sane

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Not bad, looks just as horrible as a normal blade with no diffuser lol! Look forward to seeing what's next!

ladies and gentlemen it is done, the curved blade katana saber. i used an amber light to see how a less intense color does. it does rather well and im very happy with the results. it took alot of time. but it is done, so i present the Mark-E Katana Saber!

c Katana saber 1.jpgc Katana saber 2.jpgc Katana saber 3.jpgc Katana saber 4.jpgc Katana saber 5.jpg

The hatching on that blade is beautiful, that must have taken you forever. What did you use to do it?

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Pretty! Anything inside diffusing it this time?

to do this i used a inch thick walled polycarbonate tube, with a cellophane film for the diffuser. now the only problem i came across with this is that the cellophane tends to kink near the middle. at the time i didnt have the gel diffuser i wanted to use so i will eventually make a saber with those to see if i can make one and not have the diffuser kink. to fix the kink issue i saw on a guy on youtube use a soldering iron and he dragged it across the polycarbonate and gave the whole blade a more "unstable" look. so after an hour or so of dragging the soldering iron across the blade it hid the kinks but kept the full look. the hilt is just some pvc and i dremeled all the pieces. had to make a custom pommel for it because normally the end caps for pvc are way to tight and very hard to get off once on, so i made one out of 1 and 1/4 inch pvc pipe. i use it for all my shroud pieces and it slides on and off very easily, just had to hold the pommel on with screws. and i mentioned this before but i will add it just so everything is on post. i baked the polycarbonate in my own oven at 350 degrees for ten minutes and then it was very easy to bend. the pvc i bent at the same temp but for only 7 minutes, anymore and it started to brown. and here is a close up of the blade with no light so you can see the texture of it more clearly for the "unstable" look. oh and the video i found for that was by a guy called "PITT FORCE FIVE" on youtube.

textured blade.jpg