Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: what is Ultra sabers talking about

Hey yall, lots of conversation going on, that's good. I know some of you builders probably scratched your head when you saw the Lighting Module on my site. Certainly, for all of you, this may not have been revolutionary at all. A swappable Luxeon solution has been available to yall for some time now. However, keep in mind the audience of my site is quite a bit different than the audience of this forum.

To my customers, being able to easily swap out their Luxeons is indeed revolutionary because they were never able to do it before. Remember, not everyone is a builder, some people have trouble changing the bulb in a Maglight, much less a Luxeon LED in a saber hilt. So, while it may not impress many of you here, a fully contained "drop-in" Luxeon unit is a very attractive product to many of my customers, especially since it still costs less than an EL blade.

Perhaps I can talk Tim into carrying just the aluminum pieces of the module so yall can make your own convenient Luxeon units. Trust me, they are alot easier to swap in and out, especially since you don't need to remove the blade to do it. To people in costume at a convention, this is huge.

As for my sound board, I'm certainly hoping Tim will offer it in the store But, I'm not even thinking about releasing it until it's perfect, after which there will be plenty of videos and a 3rd party review from FX-Sabers.Com so everyone knows what they're getting before they order.
    http://www.ultrasabers.com
    Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
    The Holy Luxeon Trinity

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSWG
    Hey yall, lots of conversation going on, that's good. I know some of you builders probably scratched your head when you saw the Lighting Module on my site. Certainly, for all of you, this may not have been revolutionary at all. A swappable Luxeon solution has been available to yall for some time now. However, keep in mind the audience of my site is quite a bit different than the audience of this forum.

To my customers, being able to easily swap out their Luxeons is indeed revolutionary because they were never able to do it before. Remember, not everyone is a builder, some people have trouble changing the bulb in a Maglight, much less a Luxeon LED in a saber hilt. So, while it may not impress many of you here, a fully contained "drop-in" Luxeon unit is a very attractive product to many of my customers, especially since it still costs less than an EL blade.

Perhaps I can talk Tim into carrying just the aluminum pieces of the module so yall can make your own convenient Luxeon units. Trust me, they are alot easier to swap in and out, especially since you don't need to remove the blade to do it. To people in costume at a convention, this is huge.

As for my sound board, I'm certainly hoping Tim will offer it in the store But, I'm not even thinking about releasing it until it's perfect, after which there will be plenty of videos and a 3rd party review from FX-Sabers.Com so everyone knows what they're getting before they order.
    Offering just the components would be interesting (and a little cheaper)

BLUE 3- Ready

Well Ultra, I like that idea of a totally consolidated LED, Lens, holder, heatsink. Like you say it makes it easier to swap out and you don't have to worry about seating the lens every time you swap it out. It's no always the easiest thing to do on many sabers. I, for one, require tools to do so.

Say you were at a convention or something with your saber, you could through these things in your pocket without having to worry about damaging the LED, so it would be easier to carry 3 or 4 colors to easily swap at a moments notice. It may not be a good idea to have them all clunking around in one pocket, but they appear to still be more durable than the current setup.

I think that it has potential on the DIY side, I may be interested in just the holder but not a completed one. I like to build things myself. But I don’t think it would ever replace the current system, it would only supplement it.

Good work!
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

My main concern with it is the same problem I had when considering to make a adapter to use my new heatsinks, They block the switch hole. This can be overcome easily of course by switching the tube around or doing a switch hole someplace else etc. I just hate to add to customer confusion if I can help it.

I cant wait to get my hands on some of ultras boards either. It would be nice to eventually add a drop in battery/sound/speaker assembly or something like that which cant be done when I run out of MR boards all the time.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

The switch hole is an issue with the normal bodies, which is why these modules can only be used with a ribbed foregrip, extension, or upside down body. Not an issue with the sabers I make (since they all use ribbed, or V-groove foregrips), but something to be aware of.
    http://www.ultrasabers.com
    Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
    The Holy Luxeon Trinity

Council Member
    Sith Lord

come on ultra, work faster on that board :P
    i've been waiting forever
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Speaking of the board... and since Ultra is readin this now.

I was thinking. Sounds withstanding... the momentary button is going to irk people a bit. I don't have much of a problem with it. I don't always like the audible click of latching switches though. Now how can that be turned around?

Easily... I was talking to Erv about this for his auxillary button. Give it function that isn't pointless. I know you already have it as some kind of programmed duration. I was thinking of this schema: once for on, twice for off, then hold for the menu.

That solves the accidental offs and great functionality. If Erv gets around to it I recommended: one blaster block, two force push and holding as a lock up effect.

Maybe you thought of this... or maybe not. If not, make it so! That'll make it unique and pretty danged spiffy.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Jedi Knight
    Sith Acolyte
    Jedi Knight
    DDP FETCHER,SIG BNDWGN STARTER,BOT-WTCH LEADER,PROUDFSM member,FORMER Unofficial TCSS postwhore

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    Speaking of the board... and since Ultra is readin this now.

I was thinking. Sounds withstanding... the momentary button is going to irk people a bit. I don't have much of a problem with it. I don't always like the audible click of latching switches though. Now how can that be turned around?

Easily... I was talking to Erv about this for his auxillary button. Give it function that isn't pointless. I know you already have it as some kind of programmed duration. I was thinking of this schema: once for on, twice for off, then hold for the menu.

That solves the accidental offs and great functionality. If Erv gets around to it I recommended: one blaster block, two force push and holding as a lock up effect.

Maybe you thought of this... or maybe not. If not, make it so! That'll make it unique and pretty danged spiffy.
    Sounds great!

m..my smiley! The TCSS sig Changer! Former official TCSS postwhore! TCSS Bot Watch scout & declarer! =P
    I am a kinda PROUD member of the FSM!

I took a look at Alex's DYI module. My only comment is that he needs to add rubber grommets on the holes that the wires come through. Constant rubbing caused by dueling will cut throught the insulation sooner or later. You know what could happen after that.
    Zhi-don Aquintas
    Treasurer/Co-founder
    OC Saber Academy, OCSWS
    Rebel Legion Sunrider Base
    Jedi Assembly
    Jedi Knights [or Orange County]

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Where's he gonna find grommets that small?

A drop of epoxy would help keep the wires in place and keep them from rubbing on the holes, that's what I do on all the LEDs and MHS heat sinks I wire up for all you guys in our club.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!