Thread: New guy, new saber.

Post New guy, new saber.

Hey gang.

I'm working on ordering up everything I'm going to need for a saber build, and wanted to make sure I have everything I need (except for wire and heat shrink. I've got plenty of that). If someone could look over this list and make sure I'm not missing anything I'd be very grateful!

Milled cutouts for grip style 2 (6)
    Location of cutouts?: Please use your best judgement to make sure there's room at the bottom for the covertec wheel.

Hilt Style 1 (7" Double female threaded connector)

Machine recessed 12mm AV switch hole
    location: Please line up 180 degrees out from the covertec wheel.

Drill & Tap Hole (8-32)
    location: 2 blade retention holes on blade holder. Line up with covertec wheel and AV switch. One hole for covertec mounting 180 out from AV switch.

MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 8

MPS Pommel style 3 v1

MPS Insert style 1

MPS Clip

Grip Style 2 x6

Machined button for Covertec clip

Covertec Clip

8-32 x 3/8" socket head

8-32 x 1/4" socket head

8-32 x 1/8" Set screw

8-32 x 1/4" Set screw

12mm Anti Vandal Momentary Blue Ring Switch

Blue/Blue/White Cree XP-E2 CopperNova

Star thermal tape pad - Tri LED

18deg Tri-Rebel/Cree Star Lens

.47ohm .5w resistor

.5ohm 3w resistor

18650 Single Cell Holder

TrustFire Protected 3.7V 2400mAh 18650 Li-Ion Battery (2-pack)

TrustFire TR-001 All-in-One Charger

Nano Biscotte Sound Module V3

MHS speaker mount V6 - For 28mm Speakers

Premium 28mm Speaker

TCSS style Show blade 1" OD (32 inches)
    ** Clear Standard

Thanks all for the help!

I don't see a resistor for your 12mm AV switch LED. Everything else seems to be in order.

It's generally preferred to use a resistor for each die on your LED star, but you can share one with the two blues. If you're going for a Blue/White blade with Blue FoC, I'd pick up an extra resistor. Resistors are cheap insurance for expensive LED stars.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Hi Silver Serpent, thanks for responding

Actually, I'm going with a blue blade, with white FOC. I gathered that because the white was only going to be flashing every now and then, that a resistor wasn't really necessary. If that isn't the case I'll definitely be adding a resistor for the white. As for the 12mm AV switch LED, that's what the .5W resistor is for. If this isn't correct either, dang, I suck at this!

edit: Just looked at my list...I'm ordering 4 of the 3W resistors, and 2 of the .5 watt resistors...so I have backups in case I invariably screw something up.

Your AV switch LED only wants 20mA so you're gonna need a big (value) resistor which you can calculate with ohms law or go with the Dynaohm, available in the store. If you're buying more resistors than you need (good idea) I would suggest the same for the star pad thermal tape. Also, two opposing retention screws will create a pivot. Use one only, but to maintain the asthetic just cut the other one short.

Thanks Greenie! Wow I guess I really should've put the amounts on there...I have 2 of each size set screw, because I'm not sure which one I'll need. I do plan on two set screws on the blade holder. I also have two thermal pads on order as well. Ya read my mind!