Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tri rebel and rebel question.

Default Tri rebel and rebel question.

My luxeon tri rebel is less bright than my regular single rebel.Is this normal or is something wrong?

It may depend on how you are running it.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I am running it with the prizm soundboard

Quote Originally Posted by alcadude View Post
    My luxeon tri rebel is less bright than my regular single rebel.Is this normal or is something wrong?
    How is it wired, what are the config settings? A wiring diagram and more information would make it possible to at least offer suggestions.

I have followed the manual completely and have not changed the config settings.

Well there are a multitude of variables that effect the LED brightness, but most common and noticeable are current and heat.

1. A tri-Rebel is just a star with 3 rebel dice. Each dice on the star would theoretically produce the same Lumens as the single die of the same color, assuming that the multiple die are not overheating due to proximity and/or poor cooling.
    2. Most likely it is a current issue. Please show wiring diagram with resistor values.
    3. Check all joints and wires for cracks/shorts.

I am using the dynamic resistors form the store, and the led has a heat sink and no shorts or cracks

This DynaOhm resistors? These only allow 20 mA and are for accent LEDs not the main LED! The rebels use 700 mA and 1000 mA depending on color. You will need to replace the DynaOmhs with the appropriate resistors for each color die. The mathematical formula is in the manual, you will need to us the fV and mA rating of each LED dice and use the 3.7v of you battery. I am actually surprised you got any light out of the dice at 20mA.

From the store description:
    "The LuxDrive™ 4006 DynaOhm™ Variable Resistor is an active device which functions as a dynamic resistor, changing its value to maintain a constant current flow.
    Unlike a fixed resistor which will provide the proper current at a single voltage, the DynaOhm will maintain a fixed current over a wide voltage range.
    This makes it very simple to power accent LED's such as the illuminated switches, just place this inline on the positive lead.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 08-24-2016 at 12:47 PM.

Oh wow i didn't notice that.But i am running my single rebel with one of those and is extremely bright.I will change them today.

Is it one from the store? You can by these direct from various sources and they can be as much as 700mA, larger possibly but that's as high as I have seen. 20 mA should only barely light a rebel, most Cree won't light at less than 50 mA.