Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can a Buckpuck be friends with the Spark 2? (Saberstaff)

Red face Can a Buckpuck be friends with the Spark 2? (Saberstaff)

I've already got a stunt saberstaff that I love, and I'd like to upgrade from supplying my own whooshy noises.

In both hilts, I have Tri Cree LEDs with all three diodes wired together, so I know flash on clash is out unless I rip that up. I'm ok with that.
    Powered with 2 Protected Li-Ion 14500 batteries attached to a buckpuck.

I've read here that I'd have to cull the buckpuck to use a Nano Biscotti, so now I'm looking at the Spark 2. Can they work together? With any other entry-cost soundboard?

Happily, I thought well enough in advance that I have pommels and my coupler with vents.

Thanks a bundle!

Personally, I would recommend using resistors instead of the buckpuck as it requires beyond the recommended voltage for the Spark2 (uses one 3.7v battery). The buckpuck will not work. For the Spark, the only LED colors that require resistors are red, Amber, and the like. Depending on the color you are wanting, I would recommend a tri-Cree such as the BBR so you could have three blade colors (blue, red, and purple) and FoC. Hope this helps.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

The lower end boards like NB and S2 use 3.7V batteries (higher would kill the board), and the Buckpucks require >5V to operate, hence the incompatibility.

A CF or other board running on 7.4V would be compatible with a buckpuck, but it would just be cheaper and easier to buy a lower voltage battery, some resistors, and an NB, than a CF

Quote Originally Posted by Cire Yeldarb View Post
    The lower end boards like NB and S2 use 3.7V batteries (higher would kill the board), and the Buckpucks require >5V to operate, hence the incompatibility.

A CF or other board running on 7.4V would be compatible with a buckpuck, but it would just be cheaper and easier to buy a lower voltage battery, some resistors, and an NB, than a CF
    I see. That makes sense. Thank you! I'll give the CF some thought.
    Last edited by thepufferfish; 08-23-2016 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Deleted stupid half-****ed plan.

The higher end boards like the CF, PC and ingitors use a built-in driver, so a Buck Puck isn't necessary with those boards anyway.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    The higher end boards like the CF, PC and ingitors use a built-in driver, so a Buck Puck isn't necessary with those boards anyway.
    True, and personally I would just swap out the battery solution to use resistors and a NB (if I weren't going to be utilizing all the features of the CF), but Mr./Ms. PufferFish seems very attached to their buckpuck lol

True, and personally I would just swap out the battery solution to use resistors and a NB (if I weren't going to be utilizing all the features of the CF), but Mr./Ms. PufferFish seems very attached to their buckpuck lol
    Ahahaha I'm just scared of invasive surgery. Fresh innards it is, though! Thanks, everyone.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by thepufferfish View Post
    Ahahaha I'm just scared of invasive surgery. Fresh innards it is, though! Thanks, everyone.
    haha no worries, surgery is a delicate procedure, so it makes sense to be timid! But read through the manual of your chosen soundcard a few times, take notes, ask questions; you'll be able to do it! We are all here to help after all!

Had a thought that would slim down the amount of mods that I'd need to make to get where I'm going, and make it less expensive to add sound to both sides of the saberstaff. Would this work, oh wise ones?

- Chuck the buckpuck.

- Leave my 7.4V Li-on battery pack in place on both sides, but add a dummy cell like this one: (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2S1YRBZS4XAYA). Wish I could get these from TCSS!
    - Hook up the Spark 2s, which need 3.7V, with 1 ohm resistors.

- Proceed with speakers, momentary switches as standard.

Potential parts list for that mod:
    - 2 dummy cells for 14500 2a batteries
    - 2 Spark 2/Nano Biscotte boards
    - 2 28mm premium speakers
    - 2 16mm Anti Vandal Momentary Red Ring Switches
    - 2 1ohm 1watt resistors (I have a red tri-cree blade. Is this correct?)
    - 2 chassises (chasses?) of some flavor.
    Last edited by thepufferfish; 08-24-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Ahh, so you have 14500 Li-Ions in a 2xAA holder? If that is the case, then yes you could use Dummy Cells (TCSS Link btw: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/AA...Cell-P522.aspx) in place of one of the cells, and then you'd have some spare batteries to boot.

You'll also want to add Resistors for your Switch LEDs if you want them to light up, so DynaOhms from the store or properly calculated ones...

and is that Main LED resistor value calculated for the LEDs wired in series? because you'd have to switch them to Parallel if you change up the Battery Voltage, which will change the Resistor value as well...