Thread: Blown Speaker

Default Blown Speaker

Hello. I have to take my saber apart to replace a blown speaker. This is the second one that I am replacing since I built it. As you could probably tell, I am very new to this and this was my first build. I am using the NBv3. Is there any common places/mistakes I should look at so I don't blow another one?? I had just fixed a problem with my LED's slightly flashing for a second as I pulled the kill key, and thought the blown speaker was related to some short I couldn't find - but fixed by re-wiring my whole saber.

I had to go away for work for 2 days and when I came home and powered on my saber, it was distorted. The speaker is definitely blown.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here is a wiring diagram. Could the fact that I am using a higher value resistor than needed have anything to do with this?? (I am using it to lessen the intensity one of the die of my tri-Cree/cheap-o color blending). Or since the board is only supposed to be run at 2 amps, and I am also powering my crystal chamber LED off of the main LED pads, could this be affecting it?? I have looked for shorts and exposed wire again and can't find anything,,, any suggestions?? thanks.

I know the recharge port isn't drawn correctly, but I do have it wired correctly, and the speaker is the 2 watt bass speaker, not the 1.5w premium speaker.

The speaker can sound distorted if there is a bad connection or if it isn't mounted securely and it's rattling around. I thought I blew a speaker on a budget board build, but the pad just tore of and it the speaker was fine.

You say distorted rather than silent. Is something touching the speaker cone? A wire may be squashed up against it just enough to cause a problem

Definitely wasnt loose. I'll be taking it apart tonight after work (should have a little time then) to check it out. Maybe distorted wasn't the right word.. All the correct sound was there, but a bit of crackling.. Lol. Yeah, i guess thats distorted.

Yeah. When I put my latest build together and fired it up, my speaker crackled. Wiring to the recharge port has to pass the speaker and they 'coiled' the wrong way and squashed the cone. The challenges of cram-fu

I knew this would bother me at work all day so i just did a quick rip-apart. Possibly the threaded rods in the chassis were sticking out too much. I'm pretty sure the back part of the crystal chamber piece presses butt up against where the speaker mounts... Maybe the rods were touching the cone. I don't know. I'll have to shave them flush with the dremel later, then test the speaker before i re-assemble everything. Ugh..

Quote Originally Posted by bill_fimm View Post
    I knew this would bother me at work all day so i just did a quick rip-apart. Possibly the threaded rods in the chassis were sticking out too much. I'm pretty sure the back part of the crystal chamber piece presses butt up against where the speaker mounts... Maybe the rods were touching the cone. I don't know. I'll have to shave them flush with the dremel later, then test the speaker before i re-assemble everything. Ugh..

Make sure the speaker is fitted into the holder properly and not bending or twisting slightly.

Yeah. Im going to give it a test out of the chassis before i put it back. I have another speaker here that was going to be for another build. But i'll use it if i ruined mine.

Well, after taking the speaker out, right away saw this rip. I bet this happened as i was pushing the speaker into its home in the chassis with my tweaker.. Pressing around the hard plastic edge.... I remember my tweaker slipping off, but not hitting the speaker too hard. Totally forgot about it cause when I powered on the saber for the first time, the sound was alright. Possibly put a weak spot in it and after a few weeks of use, it finally gave way... This doesn't look like a blown speaker to me...

This is the tweaker-sized tear of a rookie mistake, lol. Anyway, glad i found it and tested my other speaker with the NB, so re-assembly will be Saturday.. Wheh. Glad i didn't screw up the board somehow.