Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tri-Cree Photo Red: Disappointing results

Default Tri-Cree Photo Red: Disappointing results

I've finished the wiring for my tri-cree photo red stunt saber and it is frankly severely lackluster. The color vanishes completely under even moderately bright indoor lighting or outdoors on even a cloudy day.

This is a photo of the blade with a fresh battery next to my led keyboard and mouse, of which it barely outshines. I measured the circuit running 2.55V at 3.25A. I'm using 3 cree photo reds wired parallel (2.5v @ 1000mA). This is supposedly the best it gets.

IMG-20190408-082742.jpg

My computer monitor puts it to shame.

I realise red is the dimmest color, and I realize photo red sacrifices some brightness to the IR spectrum for color purity, but this is just pathetic.

I'm using a 1" Saberz Starlight blade cut to 24" long, and though I do have a 7/8 optics installed (I changed my mind on blade size after getting the optics) there isn't any part of the blade that's significantly brighter than the rest.

I'm using resistors because my hilt only has room for one battery, but as I said, the battery is fresh and I measured the voltage and current going through the diodes.

There's nobody in my area I know, nor any organised community, so I can't compare IRL performance, but it definitely doesn't "light up a dark room" like I've heard it's supposed to, and with 3 high-power leds it should at least be visible in a brightly lit room (I saw one red saber from a distance in passing in a room with skylights that was way, way, way, way beyond what I'm getting out of my tri-crees).

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? I'm considering getting a new 2xphoto-red 1xwhite tri-cree but I don't know if that will really work as 3 reds are already invisible under bright lights.

Photo Red???
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Photo Red???
    https://www.ledsupply.com/blog/new-cree-xpe-offerings/
    Datasheet

When I was doing initial research, I read that cree's photo red or "deep red" is a much more vivid, true red, and doesn't have the same orange-y hue of some other reds.

Deep Red is a “better” Red but it’s still a tad dark compared to regular Red. And I was one of the first to try Deep Reds years ago when LedEngins were becoming popular many years ago. I have no idea who would have told you that Photo Red would be a good color. Far Red from years ago was unimpressive IMPO.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

I read it on the saberforge forums, a user by the handle of "Kouri" showed some impressive looking pictures of their build using a single cree deep red, and said there was "a bit of brightness" loss from opting for deep red over conventional red, but in my experience it seems to be a hell of a lot more than a "bit".

It's currently pouring cats and dogs, overcast as all hell, and this is what it looks like:
    IMG-20190408-174858.jpg

Unimpressive is the understatement of the year.

Ah, yeah, ummm, that’s not exactly a place where “accurate information” can be consistently found.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Yeah I've heard all about the drama over at saberforge, I just didn't mention it as I was trying to be tactful. Also I've seen pictures of other people's builds using deep red, but apparently they must've all been taken in ideal conditions.

I just want something that looks bright and red in a lit room (my build barely fares any better indoors). I guess the best option is to go with 3-up standard red leds and deal with the orange-y tint?

OR, you can go with either a Deep Red, Deep Red, Red or R/R/dR. That would be the direction I would go if I were you. My Deep Red was pretty bright.

Also XPE’s we’re older technology. This forum is attched to a store that does sell more updated Cree options.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 04-08-2019 at 07:00 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Did you use rebel deep reds? Yeah, R/R/dR sounds like a decent idea, I'd still retain a little bit of that magical blood red hue while still being able to see it outside of a pitch black room.

I mean, the cree photo/deep reds certainly live up to the name, they are vivid red in every picture, but for my uses it's just way too dim.

The Deep Red I had was an old LedEngin. I have used the Deep Red/Red mix on sabers for clients. I use Tri-Crees XP-E2’s nowadays when I do in hilt LEDs.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...Malignant+fury
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines