Thread: Tactile switch mounting using a single switch mounting ring

Default Tactile switch mounting using a single switch mounting ring

I am having a terrible time getting a SPST tactile momentary switch to mount inside of a 6" extension [part no. DF6] (yes, I used the TCSS tactile switch milling service when I ordered the ext.). I also got the tactile switch ring for stability. first thing I had to do was enlarge the four holes on the switch ring to allow for 28 guage wire and heatshrink. The switch hole is about a 1/4in. below the threads.
    Now whenever I am trying to slip the wired switch and ring into position and sit flush against the inner wall, the switch gets bound up and I have crushed two switches as of now. I have viewed the video that FJK did on these switches but the switch ring he uses in the video is for a dual mount and I am using the single mount. There is no keystone in the single mount to seperate the ring as FJK suggests with the dual mount. I have tried two methods to slip the ring into place.
    First method was to try and shimmy the ring into place at slight angle. when I do this the ring gets bound up on the threads. Using a pair of thin needlenose I am able to get the ring just past the threads. by this time there is so much pressure on the switch; it get crushed.
    Second method was to slip the ring 90 degrees out of phase with the inner walls and using a pair of pencils (the eraser ends) manipulate the ring into position. Same result: switch gets crushed and falls apart.
    I have thought about just cutting the ring so it will separate and bind up when I am trying to get it into position. Am I on the right track of thinking with my cutting the switch ring idea or am I missing a trick? One of my concerns is that I do cut the switch ring that I will not be able to reattach the ring once I have it inside the hilt using glue, epoxy or just scotch tape as a binding agent. Second concern is after I cut the ring that it compromise the integrity of the mounting ring and the ring itself will not function as designed. Internal space is not an issue because this is a stunt build so I have a battery pack (part no. 2AAJST) with one 3.7v Li-ion and dummy cell. Being a stunt build, I am thinking ahead that the owner may want to upgrade and add a sound board later. So I am wiring using the removable module method of assembly (i.e. JST connectors between the switch, the battery holder, the batteries and wired LED plus resistor with a JST at the end.
    Not asking anyone to give up any trade secrets but a little assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a photo of the hilt that I will attach with this post.
    IMG_20160805_192602033.jpg

Which switch are you trying to put in there?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

That's a "press fit" type of switch, you shouldn't need a mounting ring for those - I've never used one on the domed switches I've installed. But they will need to be wired prior to installation, because once installed, they don't usually come out very easily.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

The mounting ring is designed for these switches: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/SP...itch-P285.aspx
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

OK. that is very valuable info. Thank you both SS and JFK for your guidance on this matter. The build I had started assembling is being held up due to the switch issue. I can now finish this build and get it out the door.

Anyway to get a note added to the store page that a switch ring is not needed for the "press fit" switch I am using?
    Last edited by DarthSkummelavsky; 08-11-2016 at 10:01 AM.