Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ElectroPLATING rather than etching

Lightbulb ElectroPLATING rather than etching

Has anyone ever tried electroplating rather than etching? Or even, etching a design then using the same stencil to plate a different material in it?
    Seems doable, but I must admit I've never seen anything about it, neither here nor any other forum

I have not done it but I want to. Someday I want to try plate gold into an etched design. Should work if you leave the resist in place after etching. Of course now that it's been mentioned on a saber forum, someone who would not have done it anytime soon, now will... and before I do, lol.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Electroplating generally takes more steps, more chemicals, and more waste that needs to be disposed of properly. It's not that it's harder to do, it's just more involved.

You typically can't just electroplate gold onto any old metal, you need to plate an intermediate metal on your item first, and then plate the gold onto that.

Do your research first, and go for it.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Yeah. For gold plating aluminum it's copper, nickel (or nickel, copper, nickel depending on which tuts you read), (sometimes silver) then gold. I've done some research Cost is a biggee when it comes to gold plating. Not cheap, even with the basic kit from Caswell.
    Last edited by ARKM; 08-08-2016 at 12:39 PM.

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Right. I have read a little bit about it. I'd just want to plate copper, I think. As you said about copper, then nickel(or nickel, copper, nickel depending on tuts), I've seen much the same inconsistency. Some seem to swear by plating aluminum with nickel before copper, and some don't bother, but I've seen both with great results! Very confusing.

Now, what about a design on an MHS piece with another MHS piece as the anode? Simply Aluminum on Aluminum Plating for raised designs?
    That certainly wouldn't need any special preparation, other than acetone to clean the piece first, correct?

Home based electroplating is generally very fragile and easily scratched/chipped off. You will need to clear coat the surface as soon as possible to protect it. Since the professional process of electroplating nearly any substrate is to first nickel plate it, probably want to stick with it. Also be careful the acids are fairly caustic and need to be fully neutralized before disposing of properly.

Yes electroplating at home is a bit tricky....not to mech'in dangerous. If you can the best thing to do is go to chrome shop in your town...true they do it on a rather large scale but you will get the idea. And yes Chroming has a few more steps then electroplating....but like I said you will get the jest of it.

@ARKM
    If I recall we talked about this briefly. You'd require a variety of voltages and materials to try it in salt water.
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

*shrugs* I don't remember enough from the electroplating tuts I have read (it's been awhile) to know if that would be viable or not.

I've read/watched several tutorials using various solutions, such as muriatic acid(used to balance pH in pools), or RootKill, both of which are available at my place of work(Home Depot). Once I'm home today I'll link a few tutorials that I've seen. When the 4 inch extensions are back in the store, I'll get several of them and do some testing. Might put together a legendary tutorial like our favorite electro etching pioneer haha