Thread: Enhancing Wiring Durability

Default Enhancing Wiring Durability

I use my saber for stage combat performances (I would say mid-heavy contact). I bought my first saber about a month ago, a grab bag stunt saber from ultra saber. During the middle of practicing for our fifth performance the positive wire broke off of the switch. The day before the performance... What do y'all do to increase durability and reliability from the wiring? I'm already planning on a MHS build from TCSS parts soon so I can save my stunt saber for practice and have a dedicated performance saber. Thanks!

1) don't buy from (company that is not mentioned here). Since the wiring broke that tells me it was either connected poorly or broke due to fatigue. If it was fatigue that means the parts were moving around and badly installed.

2) Save the wear and tear for the stage. Use a stick to choreograph and practice. Grab a piece of carbon fiber or poly carb tubing and wrap some duct tape around for a handle.

3) if you have room, use a larger diameter wire (smaller gauge number). Add extra length if the wire twists from screwing a piece on and off a lot. or better yet avoid that altogether by adding a recharge port.

BTW welcome to the forums.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

A Chassis on the inside of your saber to help keep everything in its proper place, definitely one of the most important things to reduce wire fatigue!

In addition to what's already been said: Go through the wiring of your premade saber. Redo any connections that look questionable. Add heatshrink to all the connections, as it'll provide some strain relief as well as insulating them against shorts.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks for all the replies! I plan on putting together a chassis for it and for the TCSS one when I build it. I'll go over the wiring soon and resolder anything sketchy.