Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kill Switch Problem

Default Kill Switch Problem - Think I Solved It

Hello.
    So after finally completing my first saber, I noticed that when I pull the kill key the main LED's flashed I little.. not even a second, and not at full brightness.. I thought maybe I shorted something. So I opened the whole thing back up and checked. I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary... no exposed copper or wires touching anything they shouldn't be. My solders on the soundboard are all ok. There's nothing shorting out anything on the board. My kill key does work properly because my deep sleep LED goes off when I put it in the port, like it should. Anyone ever have this problem before? Maybe some advice on where else to look for a problem. Did I make a mistake in my wiring??

Last edited by bill_fimm; 08-05-2016 at 08:44 PM. Reason: found new information

Blog Entries

Is it possible that a little bit of solder has dropped in the kill switch, so that when you manipulate the kill key, it makes a connection? Just something to check, but even in that case, the main LED shouldn't light up without hitting the switch. Another possibility is that the wiring to the crystal chamber LED is somehow connecting with the main LED.

I never thought of that. I'll look carefully at the kill switch and charging port. Thanks!

Still can't find it, no shorts,,, anyone else experience this before?

Have you tried charging yet? The kill key will cut power to the DS pad even if the recharge port has the negatives reversed. You'll know when you plug it in.

If you have the recharge port wired in the saber the same as your diagram, it's wrong. The center terminal is the battery negative, not the positive.

It should be wire as shown in this post:
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ll=1#post51391
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 08-04-2016 at 04:31 AM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I have tried charging, the deep sleep LED went out when I plugged the charger in. Also, with the charger plugged in, I could not activate the blade, which is correct, isn't it??

As far as the drawing goes, it's not an accurate pic of the charger port... I metered which contact goes to the battery with my charger plugged in, I'm almost sure I got it right,,, anyways this Saturday looks like I'll be taking it all apart and checking my work again.. but I guess the charger port is suspect,,, lol. Thanks for taking the time to help me guys.

The kill key just breaks the connection of the neg and will 'appear' to function correctly. When you plug in the charger, it will send power to the board rather than the battery. This could cause errant functions to occur (LEDs coming on, rebooting or speaker static) If you have a smart charger with indicator light from TCSS it should light up red when charging, green when it's charged or just on but not plugged in.

This may be a stupid amateur thing to ask... But since it will be on my mind all day at work, I will ask anyway... If i had the two negatives wired backwards, wouldn't I be able to power on the soundboard when i had the charger plugged into the outlet??? Beacuse power from the charger would be going to the board instead of the battery.... This is not the case.... I cannot activate the blade with the charger plugged in.. So my charger port negatives are correct, right?? Anyway I'll be taking it apart tonight after work to try to fix it.

If the positive lead from the battery is going to the tab that is attached to the center pin on the recharge port, your saber will still work just fine as that would be the correct place for it, but your kill key will not work if you have the two negatives reversed, nor will the charger, as Greenie mentioned.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.