Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: do I need a drill press for a 1/2 hole?

Default do I need a drill press for a 1/2 hole?

I need it for the switch

You don't need a drill press for a 1/2" hole. It would be helpful, but it's not necessary.

Use a center punch to mark your hole location. Drill a smaller pilot hole first, and gradually increase the size of your drill bit until you reach 1/2". Hold your drill as straight as you can, go slowly, and be SURE you have your piece clamped down securely.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Technically you don't NEED a drill press for any sized hole. Just go slow and be careful as FJK mentioned. If you can, make a jig to help guide your drill!
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

Drill oil or WD40 is not a bad thing to use when drilling either

Mine doesn't have enough torque though. I'll put it on the 2 speed and it won't help. Maybe I need a new drill though

If there's not enough torque to cut through aluminum, either your bits are dull or your drill is shot. Aluminum is a fairly soft metal. There are woods out there that are harder to cut.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

As SS said, your drill should have enough torque... Unless you are trying to use a Dremel or similar Rotary Tool; those will generally not have the torque to drill with

Quote Originally Posted by Noyl Wendor View Post
    Drill oil or WD40 is not a bad thing to use when drilling either
    Never thought of using WD...might have to do that now...
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

Yes WD-40 works good....not only dose it help with cutting and keeping the bit cool...it also keeps the area clean of shavings and other bits.

Also phook15 ....like Silver Serpent said...Aluminum is very soft.....your drill is shot. Even with dull bits your drill would still bore through the tube. Cire Yeldarb the new Dremel's have more then enough power to drill through Aluminum now. Although drilling a 1/2" hole with a Dremel would talk a little more time then a drill/drillpress...it could be done.
    Last edited by PhoenixHawk; 07-19-2016 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phook15 View Post
    Mine doesn't have enough torque though. I'll put it on the 2 speed and it won't help. Maybe I need a new drill though
    Is it a cordless drill/ driver with an adjustable torque for driving screws?

Mine has trouble drilling if I forget to reset after using it for screws.