Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When are we going to get an accurate thin neck emitter for Obi-Wan/Luke builds?

As I recall, the biggest issue originally was that the thinner neck was not duel-worthy. TCSS prides itself on providing parts that can take a beating without breaking. Selling a part that is prone to breaking would be a poor business decision, even with a label stating "Not recommended for use in a dueling saber." So we ended up with a thicker neck that is still quite durable, and resembles the part you want.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

That's what I said in my post SS(edited)...do to the neck being only 1/2" to 5/8" thick in two places it "will" (not would) brake. Even the other company that has a version tells you its not for dueling.

OK strictly as a practical matter I suspect that to make a 'thin neck' that was both "accurate" and duel worthy one would have to start with a steel GUN BARREL of the very thick "bull" variety used in "benchrest" competition AND then do a LOT of machining which would be much harder than working with the aluminum usually used for saber parts. I'm guessing such a part would be too difficult, time consuming [TCSS does have to try to keep multiple parts in stock afterall] and prohibitively expensive for most customers in the final analysis. Just my guess on that, only Tim's analysis counts.

Tim knows very well after all this time in business what customers would ideally like to see so if some part ISN'T being stocked in the store there is usually a good reason for it even if we don't know what it is - I think of that everytime I see someone ask on the "Wish List" thread for a curved MHS piece as if they were the first to think of it [iirc it was first 'wished' for around 10 years ago by one or another of us lol]. I've seen him bring forward great advances in this hobby so I have faith he'll continue to bring customers new innovative parts as often as practical. If not then maybe that part simply wasn't practical to make and stock [like the MHS coupler that was awesome in principle but perhaps needed to be made in steel too cuz in aluminum it 'loosened up' with wear -sigh-] and I'll just have to try to accept that. But things continue to advance in this hobby and for TCSS so who knows maybe 'someday'...nothing wrong with 'wishing' as long as one doesnt get their hopes up into expectations eh?

Who, Vaders Vault? They claim that they can duel.

Vaders Vault has a think neck saber, yes, but it is a very short neck, and nearly solid, aside from the wire passages. It is structurally different from the Luke thin neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    Vaders Vault has a think neck saber, yes, but it is a very short neck, and nearly solid, aside from the wire passages. It is structurally different from the Luke thin neck.
    I have not seen it in person, but it says it is 1/4" wall. in the copper section so I tend to agree only wires pass through...though that is all that needs to. I am positive it has been asked for many times over the years, and I would be willing to guess there is a good reason it is not stocked. Though there is nothing stopping you from having Tim custom make one...or making it yourself. The main issue I see is that it would not be an MHS part other than the threads to connect it to a hilt. The LED heatsink and lenses holder would need to be integral to the emitter like one of the replica prop builder's versions of this emitter. Name escapes me at the moment, most hilts have been static props (assembled using a 1/4" all-thread ran up the center) but recently started selling them hollowed out for electronics.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 08-03-2016 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    Only a guess, but I suspect that will be sometime around when the store changes its name to TheREPLICASaberShop instead of TheCUSTOMsabershop and/or around when Strydur doesnt mind getting sued out of business by the legal stormtroopers of the Evil Empire er Mouse Corporation in order to "resemble the ones used by (Copyrighted characters)" that are the intellectual property along with their unique movie prop designs of aforementioned Evil Mouse Co....

...meanwhile some of us saberfans [notice the word saber not another word that is also a trademark of a big corporation] are very grateful that someone in the saber hobby made a store where we can buy parts for custom sabers even if they arent "accurate" replicas of something else that someone else might see in some sort of movie somewhere, and might personally wish that people would stop asking for parts by the names of copyrighted characters that might cause problems for that hmmmmmm...
    Baloney. Every buy-off-the-rack saber shop I know of sells VERY accurate look-alikes of several movie sabers (ANH Obi-Wan and RotJ Luke included). They get away with it for two reasons. Most importantly: Uncle George's self-named film company long ago set the legally-binding precedent that their intellectual property is almost as good as public domain. The Mouse bought LF but because LF still exists as a legal entity and still owns the IP in question, that company's actions in the past still count as legal precedent.

If instead of selling the farm, George had sold the Horse, then decisions his company made to NOT protect their property would not necessarily (but still might) prevent Walter's company from litigiously defending the same property.

Second (lesser) reason: SF (for example) sells a model called "Avenger." If they sold a model called "Obi-Wan's prequel hilt," they'd be more vulnerable to legal action because they're selling a fairly recognizable item, made more recognizable by marketing it using the name of a copyrighted character. Now they'd be making money by selling someone else's IP.

The bottom line is we have what is offered because it works within the system this store developed ages ago. If you looked CLOSELY at the parts in question, the reason(s) why they are not "thinner" would be pretty self evident.

And to answer the OP's question, I am going to say it's not likely.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Looks like Tim got tired of yer whining and cryin. Check out "what's new" in the shop!