Thread: about chargers...

Default about chargers...

So I'm wondering about charging my power cell via the charging port. I bought the two-pack of 18650 Li-ion power cells (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Tr...pack-P517.aspx) but I'm still waiting for the charger to be restocked. I have a charger that came with my Saberforge saber and I'm wondering if I can use that with this power cell. It says the output is 4.2v DC 3A. It appears to fit my charging port and the center contact is positive. It appears to be a "smart" charger, since it shows a red indicator when charging and a green indicator when fully charged. Is it safe to use this charger? If not, how do I find one that IS safe to use? I would ordinarily just wait for TCSS to restock the charger I need but I have a commissioned hilt ready to be delivered; just no way to charge it. If I can charge the power cell fully, I don't mind delivering it and saying "here's a link to the charger you need; it's out of stock right now." Otherwise, I need to find a charger elsewhere.

From what you've described, it sounds like a li-ion smart charger. See if it has any part numbers listed on it, and run those through Google to get more information.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Just sent you a suggestion. The charger you are describing sounds like it is a dedicated 3.7v charger.

It does have a number (E361658 5BD1) that gave me some Google hits of various different chargers, none of which match the one in my hand. Based on the theory "power is pulled, not pushed, I feel pretty safe using this but I wasn't sure if that applies to a Li-ion charger, since I don't know that the power cell has any on-board logic for recharging itself.

This has the same voltage as the one in the shop but looks like six times the amps. For cell phones, I know that doesn't matter but I also know that a cell phone's charger is on-board and what you plug into the wall is a "dumb" power supply. This is clearly something different so I just wanted to make sure the same rules apply.

Are you soldering them in or using the "removable" battery holder? I would not recommend using the 18650 holder and a recharge port, at least I have seen and read some very negative feedback on that combination.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Are you soldering them in or using the "removable" battery holder? I would not recommend using the 18650 holder and a recharge port, at least I have seen and read some very negative feedback on that combination.
    I have soldered wires directly onto the 18650 and used electrical tape to tape them along the side of the power cell. I had planned to use the battery holder but the chassis parts for power cell w/ NBv3 won't hold it.

So what's the rule with charging a Li-ion cell? Do I need to worry about too many Amps or is it like a cell phone battery (power is pulled and not pushed, so more amps available doesn't mean the battery receives more than it can handle)? I've determined that this is a smart charger so I'm just looking for someone explain to me why it is or is not safe to use it with this power cell.

Basically you need to make sure the charger is compatible with the 1. Voltage of the battery, 2. The max charge rate of the battery (PCB protected cells), 3. The chemistry of the battery. You can try it just keep it away from flammable items and preferably people the first time you charge it, and never leave it unattended.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Basically you need to make sure the charger is compatible with the 1. Voltage of the battery, 2. The max charge rate of the battery (PCB protected cells), 3. The chemistry of the battery. You can try it just keep it away from flammable items and preferably people the first time you charge it, and never leave it unattended.
    How do I keep it away from people without leaving it unattended? No sarcasm intended; just found that funny.

1: I don't exactly remember but I seem to recall the SF Li-ions are something like 7.5 volts. But the chargers for the two batteries have the same output voltage. Isn't that the more relevant information?
    2: I have no idea how to find that information for TCSS battery, SF battery or either charger. I know that both "batteries" are sold as single-cell (which makes them technically not batteries at all) with built-in PCB. I have no evidence that either is other than advertised.
    3: By battery chemistry, you mean Li-ion vs NiMH vs Alkaline, right?

You're leading me to infer that if it doesn't work, it will be VERY bad. I think I'm probably better off not trying out things that could literally explode in my face. So is it a matter of "it's going to work or it's going to explode" or is it more like "if it starts smoking or throwing off a lot of heat, unplug it and hopefully you've only ruined a Li-ion powercell"?