Thread: 3rd saber build-possible upgrade

Default 3rd saber build-possible upgrade

hello all, i believe that this is my first post- i have been a lurker for several years and soaked up as much knowledge as i could. i have currently built two lightsabers with only lights no sound. the first one i used the wonderful modular wiring system offered by the store- marvelous indeed! the second one, was a challenge as i had aquired three lux I's. I only knew one led was blue the rest are a mystery becasue they are older and the writing on the back is faded. so sincei have these leds and the accompanying micropucks, i built my second lightsaber using jay gons tutorial- again marvelous. as luck would have it i was walking in my local savers and i found a 2009 obi-wan hasbro cheapy for 3.99 i bought it and took it home. i have freed the contents of the saber and here it is, as far as i can see in the forums this particular sound board has not been covered. now i have two remaining lux I's of a color which i am unsure- i will be testing them to check. and a 2009 cheapy board. after reading this whole forum i realized two things
    1. a lux I can be driven straight from the board
    2. i have a 2AAA battery pack for the lux I- since i have a micropuck to drive it- sicne i'm using a lux 1 on this build do i need more to power the board and the led? like say a 2aa battery pack?

here is a picture of the soundboard

100_0884.jpg,

ok both of my lux 1 leds are green- any advice?
    would i need to use a micropuck in order to power thos or should i just hook up the lux 1 and a 2aaa battery pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Gal-An Iabos View Post
    ok both of my lux 1 leds are green- any advice?
    would i need to use a micropuck in order to power thos or should i just hook up the lux 1 and a 2aaa battery pack?
    You can certainly drive a hi-output LED from the board and from the 3v the battery will output, but no where near its full brightness. I beleve it would be >300 mA. At a minimum you will want 3AAA for a 30 minute run time. I personally would suggest an 18650 or 18500 3.7v setup. For the Lux 1, I cannot find any spec sheets, but you will need to know the forward voltage and the max drive current to calculate the required resistors.

All that you seek can the found here.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ighlight=Tip42
    Last edited by FenixFire; 07-25-2016 at 06:49 PM.

Lux I specs were 3.42v (Green, blue, white), 350ma MAX. I still have some myself. ;P

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

just did a test run and realized that even with a micropuck 2aaa are not enough, so i'm going to use the micropuck still in the setup and run it off a sincgle lithium ion aa battery at 3.7 volts- i figured is i use the micrpuck it will stop the led from getting fried.

I'd be careful doing that, the micropuck's input voltage is suppose to be 3volts, not 3.7v, or more accurately, 4.2 which is the initial charge voltage of a Li-Ion cell. It may smoke and burn if you feed it more than it's rated for. You're better off using a resistor than the micropuck if you want to use a Li-ion cell.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.