Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to find the spot at the top of my hilts curve so the drill hole isint crooked?

Default How to find the spot at the top of my hilts curve so the drill hole isint crooked?

Im trying to drill a blade retention screw into my saber and was wondering if theres a method for me to drill the hole at the exact center of the hilts width so i don't make it crooked. Also i read the tapping guide and saw that i can't use a drill press to tap, do they mean when the press is on? Because maybe i couls just turn it off and turn the chuck with the tap inside to tap. Otherwise i don't know how to tap straight.

As to the tapping, I believe that is referring to the need for speed and force control. The tap needs to pull itself through, and a drill press complicates that.

As for drilling the top of your hilt, do you mean finding the center line, or ensuring your hole is centered? Use a punch, then pilot hole to guide your larger bits, step up the hole increasingly larger bits.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    As to the tapping, I believe that is referring to the need for speed and force control. The tap needs to pull itself through, and a drill press complicates that.

As for drilling the top of your hilt, do you mean finding the center line, or ensuring your hole is centered? Use a punch, then pilot hole to guide your larger bits, step up the hole increasingly larger bits.
    Im talking about drilling the top point of the circle, if you were to look at the sink tube from the emitter or pomell, this point would be in thec middle like this. ( . ) and are there any methods for a straight tap besides my hands?

When it comes to drilling a hole in the side of a cylindrical object, if you want "perfect" centering and properly aligned holes, you will need a drill press with a vise or a milling machine to use as a drill press. If doing it by hand, all you can do is eyeball it and hope for the best. Try to use at least a vise and if you already have a predesignated "top" of the saber, center that "side" of the saber in the vise facing straight up, using your best guess. I hope that helps.

For tapping, same thing about trying to use a vice and centering the top side of the saber facing straight up and just eyeballing it while tapping. While I do use a lathe and mill for drilling, I never use a machine to tap. That's all done by hand and works fine for me.
    Last edited by ARKM; 07-24-2016 at 01:26 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

I've found that if you get the hole drilled straight, then the tap will want to go straight as well.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Blog Entries

Mad cow had a video about finding the center using a piece of paper. Wrap the paper around the tube, tape it, and then fold it in half. The folds indicate the 180 degree marks. Maybe that's not what your were asking my, but that's my best answer.

Blog Entries

The video explains it better.

what tools do you have available?

You can also trace a line the length of your material. You just need a board or similar material, butt your material against it, and draw a line. If you are trying to line something up and it sticks out a bit, you can put it at the end of the board, line it up with the edge, then make your line. To establish the center line on the back of the material, you can use the piece of paper method mentioned above. Mark it using the paper to measure in both directions in case you are slightly off, the middle of the two lines in the back will be the center no matter if your paper is slightly more or less than half the circumference.

You need a base for under your hilt tube on your drill press. It should have a V shaped groove in it, where both sides of the groove are angled the same (so both sides of the groove are 45 degree angles or 30 or whatever). Clamp that base to your drill press in such a way as the drill bit hits the center of the V shaped groove (where the angles meet). Your tube should, when placed in the grove (and clamped if possible), get its hole nicely centered. No measuring necessary, and you can re-use the base for every hole in every tube from then on.