Thread: What transistor/mosfet/relay do I need?

Default What transistor/mosfet/relay do I need?

Trying to put cheap sound in one of my MHS hilts what do I need besides the board and speaker to make this work. It's already a stunt saber I just need parts for sound. I use Amazon mostly so if you could provide a link that would be great! My main concern is the minimum voltage required to "switch" the transistor. Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!
    In my experience there is no such thing as luck. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Tip 42

Sounds like you need to stop and read the tutorials on how to do it. Before you start.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ighlight=Tip42
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ighlight=Tip42

You should go with the 3.7v and a recharge port. You'll want a kill key. The resistors for the LEDs, a momentary switch. And some type of chassis. Once you read up on how to do it, you'll have a better understanding on how it works and you voltage question will be answered.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 07-23-2016 at 11:27 AM.

I have read a lot of tutorials on it but I also know that people there are other options besides the tip42 transistor. I also am planning on using rechargeable aaa because the board can't handle the full 4.8v and I already have resistors a momentary switch and a chassis plan. Like a said I have already built a stunt saber using a momentary to latching converter and I just want to play around with a cheaper sound option. Do you know of any other options other than the tip42 transistor? I know some people use a mosfet or relay. Thanks for the quick reply!

Go with the pnp tip42c or g. They seam to be the ones that work the most. With 3aaa you'll have 20-30 minutes of run time. With the 3.7 you will get over an hour. I did both setups now they are both 3.7. The tip42 is a PNP MOSFET.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 07-23-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Ya I know I will probably only get 30-40 min but it is much more expensive for a 18650 setup. Will this transistor work well? It says it's a tip42c but I couldn't find a .g https://www.amazon.com/10pcs-TIP42C-...keywords=tip42

Yeah it will work. The C is simply good to 100v the G I think is only 50v. Also heat shrink the entire mosfet, as the heatsink on the back is conductive and "live" so it will short out. Also with the aaa setup I would not do more than two die at once.

The cost is subjective And depending on local resources or savvy sourcing the battery, charger and recharge port can be had for under $20. The most expensive being the charger that will work for multiple sabers, and many other applications in various hobbies from RC to Air soft. After dumping Max life AAAs in 25 minutes several times in my sons Ezra build I quickly made the change.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 07-23-2016 at 07:33 PM.