Thread: guten toight [help me]

Default guten toight [help me]

I asked in the chat box the other day, but I realised that this issue might as well get carved into the stone slab that is the eternal forum.

I'm converting a 2007 MR Vader to a tri-cree / CF8 with bells unt whistles and I got my conversion blade holder in the post this week! Sadly it's too big?

It doesn't go in any further, I think there's like a 1 thou lip and it's very frustrating .

if you can help, please help!

That should go in further than that, until it is flush with the edge of the chromed tube.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

yes you got a burr or something else stopping it that you can't see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    That should go in further than that, until it is flush with the edge of the chromed tube.
    Yes I know, it doesn't though. The conversion has a lip on it up to there and I don't know if that was design or...

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixHawk View Post
    yes you got a burr or something else stopping it that you can't see.
    I'm sure if it were a burr I'd be able to scrape up the converter nice like the other 2/3s are... I'm pretty sure it's too snug a fit all the way around. I just didn't want to get sandy before someone said "oh yeah they're made like that for the best fit" or something.

Yeah I had the same problem with two of my kits and I ended up sanding the kit down.

Some of the walls are thicker then others....with out getting a caliper measurement those here wouldn't know....and there's no need to go buy a caliper measurement tool. Just use your best judgment bro.

Edit: ahh ...there we go...emperor Vader got to of the thicker ones.

Default [[solved (?!)]]

Quote Originally Posted by emperor Vader View Post
    Yeah I had the same problem with two of my kits and I ended up sanding the kit down.
    IT FLEW OUT OF MY DRILL AND BRUISED MY FINGEE >: (I'm also an idiot with no lathe and I didn't see the chuck key go figure)

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixHawk View Post
    Some of the walls are thicker then others....with out getting a caliper measurement those here wouldn't know....and there's no need to go buy a caliper measurement tool. Just use your best judgment bro.

Edit: ahh ...there we go...emperor Vader got to of the thicker ones.
    is there thumbs up emoji here? (y)

I mean I have calipers, like 3 sets, but I just assumed the pokey bit made to go in the holey bit would fit

======= VERDICT =======

Okay so, after about 2 hours of rigorous adjustment to the holder I found the culprit, the stamped letters had raised the inside of the 'saber tube and so after bringing the step at the front down I made a taper in the back end about 1.4mm deep. Now it fits in the hole like a glove but.

the relief for the teeny tiny greebly screw down the right side doesn't line up. It's no real problem for me (just a quick dremel x carbide job) but for the average sofa joe who might want this kit for their vader rave stick it might be more of a challenge. Tim, buddy, if you're watching you might want to look over the tool paths again. Then again, maybe the design has been altered since 2007? I don't know. anyway it's like pretty much done so I'm not unhappy :>, saves me trying to explain another 'crazy aluminium tube' to the lathe guy I know this side of the pond.

I feel like I'm going to have to trim a couple of the screw holes too, the '07 MR has two different length flatheads up by the thumbscrews and one of them is sitting way proud now (on account of it previously going into a hole). The smooth thumbscrew is also a little toight near the end of its threads now.

Yup you found the culprit - The Stamped letters cause a tight fit. However, I just performed the conversion on a Black Series Vader and although I had issues with the stamped letters a little brute force got it in with no issues. I didn't need to modify anything or sand away any materials. To get the screw holes to line up try inserting a small nail or punch that can fit in the exposed screw hole, then push into position.

Quote Originally Posted by FantasticDamage View Post
    Yup you found the culprit - The Stamped letters cause a tight fit. However, I just performed the conversion on a Black Series Vader and although I had issues with the stamped letters a little brute force got it in with no issues. I didn't need to modify anything or sand away any materials. To get the screw holes to line up try inserting a small nail or punch that can fit in the exposed screw hole, then push into position.
    Yeah, I wanted (needed) to take it back out again so I didn't opt for the HAMMERZEIT option. But additionally, the lip on the converter did still catch on the open end of the vader tube. As for lining up, I took my 1" sanding drum and just put it in the blade hole, cinched it down and made it into an aluminium lollypop :> (as you can see in the top photo!).