Thread: quick question about micro USB...

Default quick question about micro USB...

I have had lots of help in the past when it comes to wiring. So I thought I come here one more time...
    I am doing a mod on a prop for SDCC next week that will use my cell phone. (its the pipboy that came with the pipboy edition of fall out 4 last year). The problem is my phone will not last all day with the app going. So I want to put in a power bring inside the pipboy. But another problem is, standard micro usb connectors are two long. So I am going to have to make a low profile one my self. So I hacked one open last night. (finally getting to my question.) I know with usb cables there should be 4 wires. R,G,W,B I believe. The one I opened last night only had red and black. Is this a power only micro USB cable? I just don't want to re-solder anything and then fry my phone...

It could be. Were those two wires on the two outside pins? What pin they are connected to is much more important than the color. You can do a google search on "micro usb pinout" to get that info. Also, you should be able to find 6 inch micro-usb cables if you look around.

I don't have the connector in front of me but from what I remember there were only two solder pads on the connector it's self... It just threw me off because I know USB also transfer data which requires two additional cables...

That's true. That being said, some of the USB cables that come with chargers only do the two power wires for cost savings.