Thread: Blade Plug

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Blade Plug

Hello there saber fans! I came up with a blade plug idea, and unless I'm mistaken, it is the first of its kind! I used the motor casing for a small 12v DC brushless motor- The kind that opens and closes a DVD drive in a computer, if that helps anyone. I just wanted to share the idea and build process here. Although, let me make it clear that these are my intellectual property and are not valid for sale by any merchant. (I think I've put this thread in the right place, sorry if I screwed up)

Apologies if these are a little bit blurry, taken in a hurry with my phone camera

And a pic of the plug in my friends Saber

So, the build process- for these specific 2 plugs, I used an old Ultrasabers () blade I had sitting around, cut into short pieces.
    One end of the plug is ground out (I used a dremel with a tiny drum sander at high RPM, took 5-10 minutes) so the walls are VERY thin- this is important, the casing wont fit otherwise.
    Once you get close to the right wall thickness, turn down the speed so you can normalize the wall thickness around the whole plug.
    Cut slots into the sides of the motor casing using a metal cutting bit for a dremel, so the sides can compress in towards the middle. This allows the casing to fit inside the plug using NO glue or tape or whatever, and I honestly couldn't get the casing out of there even if I wanted to.
    OPTIONAL; I used a countersink to bevel the holes in the casing to make it look a little bit better.

The result; A nice, easy plug, and around the rim, where the slots in the casing are, actually cause little highlights in the brightness.

Here's a pic;

Let me know what y'all think!
    Last edited by Firestorm1964; 07-12-2016 at 12:41 PM.