Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: MHS Padawan Sabers

THE GOOD NEWS: My 'used' speaker works just fine and the broken V6 sled works just fine, especially since I have to shoe-horn that speaker into it. Once my remaining orders come in (hopefully by wednesday/thursday) I'll be able to knock out both sabers in record time.

THE BAD NEWS: The repaired NB I have on-hand seems to be TOAST. I think it's the positive pad this time, so I can jumper it myself, but won't bother for now. I've got two brand new NB on order from TCSS, along with everything else I need to finish both sabers in an afternoon.

THE BADDER NEWS: I have no idea how to troubleshoot a battery and/or PCB, and I'm pretty sure I shorted mine when I was trying to attach it. I have no idea what the difference between the batteries I'm using now, and the last set I ordered (from the same guy), but I could NOT get solder to stick to these frackers to save my life. I'm putting the one I didn't potentially ruin in a safe place to play with later. The one I did wire up is going in the hazmat bin. I've since sourced some replacements that have soldering tabs pre spot-welded that should be much safer to use. Why don't I just use the TCSS versions? They go loooong periods of out-of-stockness.

Finished both sabers last Friday and they came out great!

LESSON LEARNED
    Pay better attention to wiring diagrams. The problem I was having with the previous board was that I had the switch wired up backwards. I got the whole 'pos/neg' thing stuck in my head and was dead set on the fact that the Activation Pad was actually negative and the pos had to go to the board. The correct answer was to wire one side of the switch (doesn't matter which) to the Activation Pad and the other side to the board negative.

Knowing now what I did wrong I feel like a dumb@ss, but hey it's been like six months since my last build. I have thoroughly 'knocked the rust off' and am looking forward to completing my MPP2 and ASP sabers this fall.
    Last edited by girot; 07-25-2016 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by girot View Post
    I have no idea what the difference between the batteries I'm using now, and the last set I ordered (from the same guy), but I could NOT get solder to stick to these frackers to save my life. I'm putting the one I didn't potentially ruin in a safe place to play with later. The one I did wire up is going in the hazmat bin. I've since sourced some replacements that have soldering tabs pre spot-welded that should be much safer to use.
    I PMed you the sources I use for pre-tabed.

What was the ballpark cost on each of these?

Quote Originally Posted by hogiewan View Post
    What was the ballpark cost on each of these?
    i would also like to know this!