Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MHS Padawan Sabers

Default MHS Padawan Sabers

MHS Consular & Guardian Padawan Sabers

These are intended for munchkin use, so the primary goals here are durability and brightness.

THE DRAWING BOARD

• Both sabers will get the same hilt style as they are mean to be "training sabers", and 30" TransWhtie Battle Blades.
    • Both sabers will get Nano Biscotte v3, Tri Cree Stars, bass speakers, lighted 12mm AV switches, and 18650 3.7v rechargeable batteries (w/ recharge port). I'll hide them between the speaker and the pommel and stick with the default recessed switch holes that come with the main bodies.
    • Both chassis will be comprised of the LED Module v3 and Speaker Mount v6 (sled).
    • Both sabers will be loaded with SHOTO and YOUNGLING sound fonts. (both fonts by Madcow)

Consular Specifics
    Tri Cree Setup: Green/Green for the blade (0.47ohm/0.5w resistors), and White as a dedicated FoC (0.5ohm/3w resistor)
    Green Ring 12mm AV Switch - DynaOhm resistor

Guardian Specifics
    Tri Cree Setup: Blue/Blue for the blade (0.47ohm/0.5w resistors), and White as a dedicated FoC (0.5ohm/3w resistor)
    Blue Ring 12mm AV Switch - DynaOhm resistor

HILT DESIGN NOTES
    If more blade holders come into stock while I'm waiting for my budget window I will give each of their own style. Not quite sure what I'm doing for blade retention screws just yet. I'm leaning towards low profile set screws (like I used on Torch), but doing two or three of them to maximize their hold strength. If you have any thoughts on this please share them.
    Last edited by girot; 07-28-2016 at 09:29 AM.

I'd personally recommend using a tri-cree from the store instead of going the quad-rebel route. Cree's are more efficient, brighter, can be driven harder, and by dropping from 3 to 2 main LEDs you'd gain some battery runtime.

By Munchkin you mean what age?

12.5" might be long for say 10 yrs or younger. But with 30" blades I am assuming they will be hi-teen age group.

NB V4...did you see an announcement that I missed?
    Last edited by FenixFire; 07-08-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sgcdialler View Post
    I'd personally recommend using a tri-cree from the store instead of going the quad-rebel route. Cree's are more efficient, brighter, can be driven harder, and by dropping from 3 to 2 main LEDs you'd gain some battery runtime.
    These are all fair points! Mostly I want to do a couple Quad builds just for the experience, but I am curious to see a mathematical comparison. I'll dig up how to calculate lumens and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by girot View Post
    These are all fair points! Mostly I want to do a couple Quad builds just for the experience, but I am curious to see a mathematical comparison. I'll dig up how to calculate lumens and report back.
    Well, when you see the result, don't say we didn't try to warn you.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    By Munchkin you mean what age?

12.5" might be long for say 10 yrs or younger. But with 30" blades I am assuming they will be hi-teen age group.

NB V4...did you see an announcement that I missed?
    NB v3, sorry. My brain keeps auto correcting that to match the PC and PRIZM versions, lol.

One is 12 and the other is 8, but the littler one is going home at the end of the summer. The length of the hilt is okay at 12.5". I don't really count the pommel and with extensions out of stock the choke is really my only option to keep the saber from getting boring. Ultimately though, I can ditch the chokes later if I need to. That's the magic of MHS!

So what's the rule on overall length for kid sabers? I'll happily shorten the blades to whatever is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Well, when you see the result, don't say we didn't try to warn you.
    No worries! That's the beauty of MHS. I can always just swap out for Tri-Cree modules at the end of the day.

Updated Hilt Concept

I was able to shave off about 3" off the overall length of the hilt and can still fit everything inside. The black section represents the Speaker Mount V6 sled (about 5" long). I put in the recharge port to see if it'll still fit, and it looks like it might. I will also need to find out if I can request that the switch hole option for the main body can be modified to move the hole up a bit.

EDIT: I used the low profile pommels to represent Trim Rings. Also, it seems the recommended overall length for a "short saber" is about 26". The shortest blade in the store (which is PLENTY short) is 24". Overall length is going to be 33".

UPDATE: I looked around the other boards at comparison threads and the Tri Cree setup remains the brightest option. It'll also cut the cost practically in half. I've updated the OP appropriately.
    Last edited by girot; 07-08-2016 at 05:00 PM.

That looks much better. Also per Star Wars lore...Jedi Initiates Padawan Sabers never had chokes on them...it just makes them to long. And glad you shortened it....because the 8 an 12 year old's would be banging the tip of the blade on the ground...and i'm sure you would cringe ever time one went plowing with it...lol

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by girot View Post
    Updated Hilt Concept

I really like that use of that blade holder actually, especially with those representational trim rings!