Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: first time builder: basic questions

Default first time builder: basic questions

Hey, everyone. Got some newbie questions.

I'm hoping to build a staff kinda like the attached TCSS Builder image: style 22 emitters with style 5 bodies. Yes, the bodies are flipped from usual: I want the activation buttons to be near the center, so if you're holding the staff in one hand, an activation button rests underneath your hand. Additionally, I'm hoping to get the body modified in a few ways:
    * shorter by 0.5", so that of an overall 72" length, the blades are notably longer than the staff hilt;
    * reverse sound, which would require some of the fluted section to be drilled out as sound holes.

I've attached a second image of me examining the design elements.

So my immediate questions are:

1, the parts I'm referring to are listed as out-of-stock. Does that mean they'll never be in stock, or do I just need to wait, or do I need to send email asking about them?
    2, can you glue a soundboard to the bottom of a 14500 battery holder and have the whole thing fit into a main body tube?

Thanks in advance for any help.

---

Edit to add clarification:
    * I'm looking to have each saber have its own sound board.
    * I'm presuming I'll need to have a battery for each hilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Thanamira; 07-06-2016 at 08:41 AM.

Any part still listed in the store is theoretically intended to be restocked. The parts you have used seem to be fairly common parts, so I wouldn't worry.

There are plenty of builds that the sound board and battery side by side, and the TCSS chassis discs are specifically designed to accommodate this if you want things tucked in there nice and securely. The 14500 (14mm x 50mm, round) is a rather small battery, especially for powering two blades (or are you duplicating all of the items in each side?). Is there a reason you aren't using the 18650? The hilt will still be able to accommodate the larger battery and you will have a much longer run time.

The image you posted is really small, so it's hard to tell exactly what is going on.

I strongly recommend looking at some other build threads to get an idea of how to fit things. You should also very definitely check out the TCSS youtube channel and watch the videos. It will give you a much better idea of how these things go together and Madcow does a spectacular job of presenting.

To solve your hilt length issue, you could use the double female extensions from here: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Extensions-C59.aspx They come in a variety of lengths, some are fluted already, and fluting can always be added as a custom order. Switch holes can be added to nearly any extension piece. It's not necessary to use a "Main Body" piece in a saber.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    Any part still listed in the store is theoretically intended to be restocked. The parts you have used seem to be fairly common parts, so I wouldn't worry.
    Awesome! Whew, that's a relief.

There are plenty of builds that the sound board and battery side by side, and the TCSS chassis discs are specifically designed to accommodate this if you want things tucked in there nice and securely.
    Aha. Nrrr I forgot to mention which soundboard; I was thinking of the Nano Biscotte Sound Module v3. I don't think there's a chassis disc for that and a 2x14500 battery holder, though.

The 14500 (14mm x 50mm, round) is a rather small battery, especially for powering two blades (or are you duplicating all of the items in each side?).
    Yes; each side would be a duplicate. I was assuming I'd need 2x14500 batteries.

Is there a reason you aren't using the 18650? The hilt will still be able to accommodate the larger battery and you will have a much longer run time.
    My understanding is that the 18650 battery holder is 3.3", as opposed to the 14500's 1.96". The extra 1.3" would smack into where I'd want the activation switch, not to mention pushing the speaker closer to the emitter (and thus reducing the resonance cavity, which I assume is bad). But it's really about not having enough space for the AV switch.

I strongly recommend looking at some other build threads to get an idea of how to fit things. You should also very definitely check out the TCSS youtube channel and watch the videos. It will give you a much better idea of how these things go together and Madcow does a spectacular job of presenting.
    Ooooh, youtube channel. That I haven't done yet. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    To solve your hilt length issue, you could use the double female extensions from here: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Extensions-C59.aspx They come in a variety of lengths, some are fluted already, and fluting can always be added as a custom order. Switch holes can be added to nearly any extension piece. It's not necessary to use a "Main Body" piece in a saber.
    Oh, win. Thanks for the tip!

The 2xAA battery holder with 14500's in the store isn't going to work for a NBv3. You will have too much voltage. It's not clear if you are trying to run both blades off a single soundcard, or if you will have 2 soundcards.

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    The 2xAA battery holder with 14500's in the store isn't going to work for a NBv3. You will have too much voltage. It's not clear if you are trying to run both blades off a single soundcard, or if you will have 2 soundcards.
    If running both main LEDs off of a single NB, keep in mind the 2A max. For example this basically means you could run a single Blue die at 1000mA on each star. With an additional die as the FoC on each star. If color mixing the combined amperage for the two dice cannot exceed 1000mA per star.

Some have found ways around this through use of additional components and boards, though you will need to locate those suggestions.

Also you have 20 inches of space to put the battery and components. The battery could be placed anywhere within either hilt, so the largest capacity 18650 or other 3.7v cell could be used. For a staff placing the board/s in the center of the staff between the buttons may not be the ideal location. As you want the boards placed as far from the center of rotation for maximum performance of the motion sensors. On single blade sabers this is near the pommel.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 07-05-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Just edited the top post with clarifications:

Edit to add clarification:
    * I'm looking to have each saber have its own sound board.
    * I'm presuming I'll need to have a battery for each hilt.
    I'm now trying to find stickied threads on electronics/wiring. I'm presuming that each hilt will need its own battery (as opposed to, say, one battery pack powering both LEDs and both soundboards). Yay research!

Oh wait, someone suggested the TCSS youtube channel. browses... Oh wow, I feel like I'm cheating. Okay, I bet that's where all my answers are! Now to find the time to watch a bunch...

Within both hilts you'd have ample room for a 18650/NB, the AV switches, and your LED. You really don't need deep resonance chambers. Maybe couple millimeters can get you some good sound. Of course the deeper the resonance chamber, the better the sound.
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands