Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Corellian Inspired Saber Build

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    Heya Sparrowhawk! absolutely loved your saber you posted! you got a work of art there!

So, I can't tell you the method that we use for our resist ect- but I can tell you the acid we use and point ya toward a nice place to start. We use the root-kill acid method with salt, water, and copper sulfate. Careful with that, because it is strong -the etch above only needed a 4 min bath! (note, this acid works only on aluminum. Won't work on steel or brass- although I may have to double check on brass, I haven't tried it myself) For some nice etching tips, you should check out this fxsabers thread: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=39721.0 And also, the user sks1138 has some saber threads that talk about etching also which helped me a bunch. Hope that helps a little!

- Sawyer
    Yo yo, Sawyer! Thanks again for your kind words! I reckon you've got yourself a very fine work of art with this saber! You must be very proud of that level of work.

Ah, the ways of the etch resist are mysterious indeed :P That's good, it keeps things interesting! But thanks for the other info! Yep, I've heard about the perils of the root-kill acid method, but it affords fantastic results. And fast too! This acid etch may indeed also work on brass, since brass does have a large percentage of copper in it's alloy, and ferric chloride etching is primarily used on copper PCBs. Thanks for the link to Goodman's article on acid etching, his work is legendary! I'll give it a good read through, and search for those threads by sks1138.

Since the acid etch method is so corrosive and caustic, I was thinking of starting with the saltwater + DC current method, as ARKM describes here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...arkm+saltwater

Have you had any experience with this method?

-SparrowHawk
    BinarySunsetDesign.wordpress.com

"Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life; bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky." -A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

Ok that this is amazing...Awesome work!
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

Wow, that is truly something special!

Quote Originally Posted by CET View Post
    Wow, that is truly something special!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverDark View Post
    Ok that this is amazing...Awesome work!
    Thanks guys! means a lot to hear all this!

Quote Originally Posted by .: SparrowHawk :. View Post
    Yo yo, Sawyer! Thanks again for your kind words! I reckon you've got yourself a very fine work of art with this saber! You must be very proud of that level of work.

Ah, the ways of the etch resist are mysterious indeed :P That's good, it keeps things interesting! But thanks for the other info! Yep, I've heard about the perils of the root-kill acid method, but it affords fantastic results. And fast too! This acid etch may indeed also work on brass, since brass does have a large percentage of copper in it's alloy, and ferric chloride etching is primarily used on copper PCBs. Thanks for the link to Goodman's article on acid etching, his work is legendary! I'll give it a good read through, and search for those threads by sks1138.

Since the acid etch method is so corrosive and caustic, I was thinking of starting with the saltwater + DC current method, as ARKM describes here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...arkm+saltwater

Have you had any experience with this method?

-SparrowHawk
    Sorry it took awhile for me to get around to this! Currently finishing up another saber and totally forgot about my forum posts!
    Yes, we've done some saltwater etching before, and is quite nice if you just want an easy clean up! Cost effective too! The only things I will say about it, is that it etches lighter rather than darker, and with the amount of time you have to dunk it you'll be waiting around for awhile if you want a deep etch. I'd recommend you play around with both to see which you like better! ( and obviously, this goes with out saying [but I worry a lot anyway], but make sure to wear a good mask, or stay away form the acid while it is etching!)

WOW! Nice artwork. Looks great.