Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Corellian Inspired Saber Build

Awesome work -- I especially love the shroud! The etched lines throughout really give it an elegant look. Also, the overall color scheme of the saber is quite stunning. I can't wait to see it fired up!

Oh wow! This is a fantastic saber, Sawyer! I mean... wow absolutely beautiful! I agree with the others, your etching is top-notch, love the patterns and texture, and it goes great with your design themes of the desert and Corellian Jedi. The green powdercoating reminds me of the desert sage that grows where I live in New Mexico

If you don't mind me asking, what etching technique did you use to get such crisp and fine line patterns? Acid, or electric-saltwater, or...? And what was your resist/mask material? It turned out fantastic. And combat worthy to boot!
    BinarySunsetDesign.wordpress.com

"Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life; bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky." -A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

Very nice! Very crisp etching aswell. It has a Ancient Egyptian vibe to me for some reason. I guess its part of the desert theme you have going on.

Awesome work, love the etching!

This is a stunning sabre. I only just started doing etching myself. I think you are right, change the red switch if you can.
    With the Blast Shield down I can't even see.. how am I supposed to fight

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoy2k View Post
    Awesome work -- I especially love the shroud! The etched lines throughout really give it an elegant look. Also, the overall color scheme of the saber is quite stunning. I can't wait to see it fired up!
    Thank you! I've only got my beat up battle blade though- which would make the pictures look ugly! XD

Quote Originally Posted by snilam View Post
    Very nice! Very crisp etching aswell. It has a Ancient Egyptian vibe to me for some reason. I guess its part of the desert theme you have going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic Jedi View Post
    Awesome work, love the etching!
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Sloda Foade View Post
    This is a stunning sabre. I only just started doing etching myself. I think you are right, change the red switch if you can.
    Yeeeeees. At the time I made this I was a tad bit limited with options. If I ever make another one, I'll definitely use a different switch- probably a nice tactile one with brass caps. This is a sparring saber though, so I'm not too upset about the button- its just gonna get beat on anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by .: SparrowHawk :. View Post
    Oh wow! This is a fantastic saber, Sawyer! I mean... wow absolutely beautiful! I agree with the others, your etching is top-notch, love the patterns and texture, and it goes great with your design themes of the desert and Corellian Jedi. The green powdercoating reminds me of the desert sage that grows where I live in New Mexico

If you don't mind me asking, what etching technique did you use to get such crisp and fine line patterns? Acid, or electric-saltwater, or...? And what was your resist/mask material? It turned out fantastic. And combat worthy to boot!
    Heya Sparrowhawk! absolutely loved your saber you posted! you got a work of art there!

So, I can't tell you the method that we use for our resist ect- but I can tell you the acid we use and point ya toward a nice place to start. We use the root-kill acid method with salt, water, and copper sulfate. Careful with that, because it is strong -the etch above only needed a 4 min bath! (note, this acid works only on aluminum. Won't work on steel or brass- although I may have to double check on brass, I haven't tried it myself) For some nice etching tips, you should check out this fxsabers thread: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=39721.0 And also, the user sks1138 has some saber threads that talk about etching also which helped me a bunch. Hope that helps a little!

- Sawyer

My jaw just dropped, this is stunning!
    "A lightsaber is an interesting weapon. A blade unique in the history of warfare. A paradox, not unlike the Jedi who wield it: those peaceful warriors, who kill in the service of life. Have you ever noticed? The blade is round. It has no edge. But it is a lightsaber - which means it is nothing but edge. There is no part of this blade that does not cut. Curious, yes? Symbolic, one might say."
    ―Vergere

Wow this saber is beautiful! I like how the saber is detailed, but still looks to be a very dueling-friendly saber with minimal obstructions for hands. The intricacy of the shroud is incredible. Was all the cutting done with a dremel, files and sandpaper?

Quote Originally Posted by JeedaiJohnny View Post
    My jaw just dropped, this is stunning!
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by grAfLEX25 View Post
    Wow this saber is beautiful! I like how the saber is detailed, but still looks to be a very dueling-friendly saber with minimal obstructions for hands. The intricacy of the shroud is incredible. Was all the cutting done with a dremel, files and sandpaper?
    Hello, and thanks! To answer your question, yes there was work done with the dremel and a LOT of sanding/filing. We also use a bandsaw. (although not recommended for curved surfaces like a shroud)

wow
    I love the etching. how did you do that?