Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TCSS Sleeve Material anodized?

If sourced from China sources I have run into instances where their "Bright Dipped" aluminum and ""Clear" anodized stainless was actually coated with a very, very thin coating of some form of polymer clear coat. Only realized it after parts made it into UL testing. Caught same plant surface bead-blasting parts to fool the inspectors hardness tests just to avoid heat treating the components!
    Last edited by FenixFire; 06-28-2016 at 08:19 AM.

Board Lurker

I was able to remove the non-conductive layer by sanding it and refinishing it using the method that SparrowHawk suggested. It wasn't easy, since I cut out my shroud design already and it wasn't a solid tube. I suggest that you sand it to remove the non-conductive layer before cutting out your designs. It'll be much easier as a solid tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    We had this last batch bright dipped and I assume during this process a protective layer is built up or added after.
    Ah, thanks for the feedback Tim! That makes sense, it's a beautiful finish, just a bit of extra work for etching, but no worries

Quote Originally Posted by vieiv View Post
    I was able to remove the non-conductive layer by sanding it and refinishing it using the method that SparrowHawk suggested. It wasn't easy, since I cut out my shroud design already and it wasn't a solid tube. I suggest that you sand it to remove the non-conductive layer before cutting out your designs. It'll be much easier as a solid tube.
    Glad to hear that sanding/polishing method worked out for you vieiv! A lot of elbow grease, by the sound of it. I'll be doing the same treatment soon, and I'll keep your advice on sanding before cutting out the shroud design in mind. Thanks for the tip!
    BinarySunsetDesign.wordpress.com

"Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life; bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky." -A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

Sanded and polished the heck out of the sleeve material only to achieve crappy results for Acid etching . this is not Cool. Any word on MHS Sleeve 1 , the 4" Deep fluted double female threaded connector or the 4" Double Female Grooved with or without holes.

Blog Entries

I know it's bad etiquette to necro post, but I was wondering if anyone has figured out a better solution to the shroud etching problem. I have tried both acid etching and electro etching on shroud material, but with poor results.

When I used muriatic acid, I got weird results. There was a tiny spot the size of a needle point that etched very deeply. The area around it didn't etch at all. Also, I didn't do such a great job masking the inside of the tube, and it bubbled like alka-seltzer in water. So, based on this, I decided that the outside has a coating, but it has tiny gaps.

When I used electro etching, I got nothing. I wonder if there's a chemical solution to this? Has anyone tried a stripper? (The chemical kind)

Just received some of the shroud material this last Saturday from TCSS, does anyone know if this is still an issue? Looking to do some etching. Thanks!
    Last edited by Jediseth; 05-21-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Never had any problem etching sleeve material using the salt-water etching technique. Can I ask what your set-up was like when you tried that?

Quote Originally Posted by gerrylum View Post
    Never had any problem etching sleeve material using the salt-water etching technique. Can I ask what your set-up was like when you tried that?
    I'm not sure who your asking. I'm thinking of doing a muriatic acid etch.

Blog Entries

I tried a muriatic acid etch, but the etch was very spotty. The finish on the shroud material is very shiny and smooth, but if there is etching to be done, that finished has to go. = sanding ... muriatic acid works great on brass though.