Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TCSS Sleeve Material anodized?

Board Lurker

Default TCSS Sleeve Material anodized?

Does the TCSS Sleeve Material come with the outside already anodized? What is the best way of removing the anodized coating so that I can salt water etch it?

Pretty sure it is a raw piece of aluminum, not anodized

It does not come anodized.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Board Lurker

Interesting, the piece that I got from TCSS is non-conductive on the outside. Maybe its just oxidation build up? I tried to sand it away but it's a pretty thick layer. I had to scratch it with my multimeter probes to get any kind of conductivity. See pictures below of multimeter on the sleeve material and a main body.

IMG_20160625_162415.jpgIMG_20160625_162435.jpg
    Last edited by vieiv; 06-25-2016 at 07:32 PM.

Oxidation most likely. Raw aluminum forms a thin film of aluminum oxidide quite rapidly and efficiently.

Board Lurker

What is the best way to remove it?
    Last edited by vieiv; 06-26-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vieiv View Post
    What is the best way to remove it?
    Yep, that's strange. I just tested my sleeve/shroud material with a multimeter too, and got the same results you have. But oddly, when I check for continuity on the inner diameter, it conducts fine. So, yeah likely a coating of oxidation, and maybe it forms more rapidly on the outside, being exposed to more airflow.

As to how to remove it, I would try sanding it off with #00 grade steel wool, or possibly 320 grit sandpaper and then the steel wool. And if you want to really polish it up to a near-mirror finish, experiment with #000 and #0000 grades.

If you want a consistent surface finish between your MHS parts and your sleeve/shoud, be sure to sand in a direction around the tube, rather than up and down. Also, here's a great video tutorial with tips and tricks by Madcow for TCSS on scratch repair for MHS parts: https://youtu.be/VV3_6DANSdM?list=PL...ljTNVLGq4F3FKT
    BinarySunsetDesign.wordpress.com

"Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life; bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky." -A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

I ran into this problem last weekend. My shroud piece wouldn't etch. I just sanded it 300, 400 grit sandpaper. After a little work it was etching just fine.

Blog Entries

Put in water immediately after you sand it. This will keep it from oxygen, thus preventing the very quick process of forming aluminum oxide.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 06-27-2016 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Removed unrelated info.
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

We had this last batch bright dipped and I assume during this process a protective layer is built up or added after.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop