Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: SparrowHawk's "Threnody" KoTOR-Inspired Saber (Lots of Photos!)

Quote Originally Posted by .: SparrowHawk :. View Post
    Thanks for your kind words, Kreyhn! I really enjoyed playing with wood and brass, and organic vs mechanical themes, which I definitely plan on expanding upon in version 2.0 of this saber. Fun stuff

Is that making sense? Hard to describe these spatial things sometimes!

Let me know if that helps in your process, I've been meaning to draw up some crystal chamber models in 123D Design for another build that has some similar challenges for the RICE port, and I can totally share them with you!
    You are most welcome! Your description does make sense. My crystal chamber is in a 1.15"ID part, and I have a bunch of chassis Disk 3s that I can muss about with. I like the idea of the parallel alignment, but I think with what I'm planning to put together, the chamber might not have the space. It's certainly worth considering, though! I'll keep that idea in mind as I keep designing things.

I had been trying to figure out how you got the threads to work, but you used hot glue! I guess I had been hesitant about the idea of gluing anything in my saber that I didn't consider that as an option. I'll keep that one in mind, too!

Thanks for being so open about your work!

Quote Originally Posted by Kreyhn View Post
    You are most welcome! Your description does make sense. My crystal chamber is in a 1.15"ID part, and I have a bunch of chassis Disk 3s that I can muss about with. I like the idea of the parallel alignment, but I think with what I'm planning to put together, the chamber might not have the space. It's certainly worth considering, though! I'll keep that idea in mind as I keep designing things.

I had been trying to figure out how you got the threads to work, but you used hot glue! I guess I had been hesitant about the idea of gluing anything in my saber that I didn't consider that as an option. I'll keep that one in mind, too!

Thanks for being so open about your work!
    Glad that makes sense! And yes of course, I'm happy to share my work and process, I think having the forums here for the open sharing of ideas is one of the best assets of the TCSS community.

Ah 1.15" ID, that's good, and those style 3 chassis discs should definitely help, I've been eager to tinker around with them too. And hahaha yup, good old hot glue, might not work in every situation, and not the most elegant solution, but it's darn versatile!

As I was thinking more about your space requirements, and still thinking about a parallel RICE port setup, it occurred to me that you could possibly save a lot of space by getting a cheap right-angle adapter (something like this: 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS Right-Angle Adapter) for the 3.5mm male end of the RICE cable. It's something I've considered trying out in my next crystal chamber design where space is super tight.

Best of luck with the kram-fu, and if you take process photos of your build, I'd love to see how the crystal chamber takes shape!
    BinarySunsetDesign.wordpress.com

"Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life; bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky." -A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

Oh my god that is one amazing saber.I am so jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by alcadude View Post
    Oh my god that is one amazing saber.I am so jealous.
    Why thank you very much, alcadude!

"Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life; bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky." -A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

Sorry, I don't know why I haven't posted on this thread. This saber is a beauty. Really nice use of other materials and a little hint of Orgus Din. Excellent work dude. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Sorry, I don't know why I haven't posted on this thread. This saber is a beauty. Really nice use of other materials and a little hint of Orgus Din. Excellent work dude. I love it!
    Haha, thanks so much Greenie! Yup, just a hint of Orgus Din. It feels like a cooking show putting it like that, "a dash of Old Republic, and a hint of steampunk, with a pinch of ANH." I like it!

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Haha, thanks so much Greenie! Yup, just a hint of Orgus Din. It feels like a cooking show putting it like that, "a dash of Old Republic, and a hint of steampunk, with a pinch of ANH." I like it!
    haha love that description! xD

Glad that makes sense! And yes of course, I'm happy to share my work and process, I think having the forums here for the open sharing of ideas is one of the best assets of the TCSS community.

Ah 1.15" ID, that's good, and those style 3 chassis discs should definitely help, I've been eager to tinker around with them too. And hahaha yup, good old hot glue, might not work in every situation, and not the most elegant solution, but it's darn versatile!

As I was thinking more about your space requirements, and still thinking about a parallel RICE port setup, it occurred to me that you could possibly save a lot of space by getting a cheap right-angle adapter (something like this: 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS Right-Angle Adapter) for the 3.5mm male end of the RICE cable. It's something I've considered trying out in my next crystal chamber design where space is super tight.

Best of luck with the kram-fu, and if you take process photos of your build, I'd love to see how the crystal chamber takes shape!
    Ooooh! I like the adapter idea! That could come out to work pretty dang swell if I can't find other room for the port. As I build, I'll just have to look for the best place to put that little RICE port; I'll definitely be fiddling a lot with the chamber as I go. I'll keep pictures posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire Yeldarb View Post
    haha love that description! xD
    Heeheehee!

Quote Originally Posted by Kreyhn View Post
    Ooooh! I like the adapter idea! That could come out to work pretty dang swell if I can't find other room for the port. As I build, I'll just have to look for the best place to put that little RICE port; I'll definitely be fiddling a lot with the chamber as I go. I'll keep pictures posted.
    Cool, yeah me too! I think the adapter could really help with the cram-fu in these tight situations. Best of luck, and feel free to PM me with progress photos or a link to your build log.

Sorry but I'm casting Raise Dead on this thread not only to applaud such a sweet build but also to see how your mentioned idea of mass production of what appears to be a very labored one-off is going. Is there an update? I've been trying to imagine what processes could spew these things off an assembly line and I'm stumped. Very rustic spin on Orgus Din. Bravo!